I am used to bad translations from Chinese, but this is different:

From the eeePC user guide: Transportation precautions:

The solid state disk drive's head retracts when the power is turned OFF to prevent scratching of the solid state disk drive surface during transport. Therefore, you should not transport the eeeP when the power is still ON.

FLASH read head? LOL.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Does it use CHS addressing? If so, how does it advance to the next sector if it's a (literally) "fixed" disk? ;-)

Tim

Tim Williams

LOL. Search and replace "disk drive" -> "solid state disk drive" ? ;-) Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

There are no vacuum tubes in a hard drive, so it is a solid state device. ;-)

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

wot! no pulleys, gears, or water wheels? must be correct then. I read it on the web.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Someone told them that "solid state disk" means "small disk"?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Is this really true even for the usual hard drives?

I routinely (carefully) transport my laptop while it's on. Bad idea?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

.

But it depends on a layer of non-solid air to fly the heads over the disks.

Reply to
Richard Henry

.

Yes.

Reply to
Richard Henry

I've had a laptop with an accelerometer - it parks the heads when it senses acceleration.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Lack of acceleration, I should think. It would normally measure 1g (upward), but in free fall that would be just about exactly cancelled by the accleration of the laptop (downward) toward the floor.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Maybe - it actually measured the direction as well as magnitude, IIRC. You could pick it up and turn it about, and I think there was a little picture of the laptop that followed the orientation. Can't remember exactly now, it came with vista which only lasted a couple of hours before I stuck linux on it.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Sure, probably a 3-axis acclerometer.

It may have done both- if the laptop was being jostled OR in free fall, then park the heads for a bit until the turbulence or weightlessness goes away for a while.

Just wait until they start making a $5 6-degree-of-freedom IMU-on-a-chip. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

...and the computer i made with relays is also solid state...

Reply to
Robert Baer