How to reliably reset a square loop ferrite ring?

Every good CRT had a demagnetizing coil, that operated through a PTC resistor from the AC input. Full magnetization when the resistor was cold, then diminishing as the series resistor warmed. Bench demagnetizing coils did a similar AC/decay with manual intervention: you'd power up the coil, put your tool into it, and pull it slowly out of the bore and away from the coil. With regular use, your tweezers could drop a small ball bearing, it was THAT effective.

It scrambles the magnetic domains, but doesn't (at microscopic level) demagnetize so much as just make a lot of self-shielding opposing magnetized pairs.

Good luck with the toroid, but unless you know how it's wound, the windings mightn't do the demagnetization over the whole ring. An external coil will not have the poloidal-current-direction geometry you want,. Scrambling the domains is kinda hard when they're already stacked end-to-end in a circle.

Drilling ferrite is tricky: beware, internal cracks can turn it from a bell to a snare drum (generate harmonic, and non-harmonic hash). I've seen it happen.

Reply to
whit3rd

I've done that without the drill!

Setup:

Insulated hookup wire, about 8 turns, loosely wound. Distributed around a T71 size ferrite toroid. Some random junkbox item, probably similar to #43 or #77 material.

Circuit: MOSFET pulsing current into the coil. RCD clamp absorbs flyback energy. Low duty cycle, variable frequency.

Start with frequency high, monitor switch current. Observe ramp for "linear" range inductance. Ramp ticks up at lower frequencies, due to saturation.

Keep dropping frequency. *Tink* Inductance is really low now, at all frequencies. Bwha?

Touch the inductor. It falls apart! The core snapped into about a dozen chunks, of suspiciously even size!

Yep, magnetostriction times resonance equals failed cores.

If it had been tightly wound, with more turns, the resonance probably would've been damped well enough, and I wouldn't have had the chance to observe this!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Ah, so, let's see...

*Counts numbers, much too large, and much too small, to actually count on his fingers*...

About a hundred counts, at ~150nm each, is 15000 or 15um, and 12", is a stupid unit, it's actually 0.3m :-p, but since B is less at the ends, let's say it's 0.2m active length? So the strain is 15u / 0.2 or 75 ppm.

Seems reasonable. Let's see...

One ref says nickel does 33 ustrain (at saturation, I suppose).

I wonder if that was actually whole wavelengths? Or, no, that would make it

4x even longer, hmm...

It's in the right order of magnitude, at least. :-p

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

I stuck a piece of ~12 AWG in a loop on the end of a soldering gun, I think it was JL here who mentioned the trick, but it could have been someone else. The loop is still on.. great for demaging tweezers, turn it on and pull the tweezers away.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Grin, 12" or 8", are stupid units... If it was all important to you I could go measure the coil, count turns.. (I'm guessing ~500 turns, but it could be more...) Don't you need to know the number of turns?

The interferometer is really cool. It's your typical Michelson, but you look at both beams out of the beam splitter (BS). (there's one that counter propigates back to the (laser) light source and you have to pick off some of that. The BS is the special part, it's an absorptive metal coating (~0.3ND.. ~1/2 the light is absorbed) I think the metal is Tungsten, (I'm not sure, we first got 'em from Thorlabs, but I could find any material info on their web page.)

Anyway the absorption gives a phase shift... there are a lot of beams bouncing around... I have to draw the pictures. You have to keep track of both the front and back faces of the BS, and how many times each beam goes through.

And you get a signal that's pretty near in quadrature... (you can muck about with the laser polarization and tweak the phase some.) And (to me) the neatest thing is seeing all the amplitude noise (in single channel) turn into phase noise... (position on the circle)

Well the data's real.. I totally could have F'ed up the numbers/units. (why is it you don't need the number of turns?) Are you just using the saturation magnetization?

I copied this pic... lazy long link.

From 2/3rd of the way down here.

Looks like ~6" (15 cm) may be a better number. (each screw hole is 1" (~2.5cm :^) mostly I wish the US had switched to metric long ago.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Only to a certain level. I've recently read a paper from the Philips Research Labs (from the eary sixties, I believe) exactly about the square loop ferrites and the folks frankly stated that they are unable to derive a full theory and they offer a bunch of effective heuristics instead. Which is in full agreement with Tim's statement.

There is a load of fully classical anisotropies, too, and they make strange things to happen with the domain walls.

Ha, I didn't know that, thanks!

Piotr "I almost studied physics, but changed my mind in the very last moment" Wyderski

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

No, just a Proxxon mini drilling machine on a stand. First I tried a 0.8mm HSS drill, but it literally melted after two or three seconds. It made me to look for the diamond cutter set which I put "somewhere". I have never used them before, but the price casts some doubt whether they really contain small diamonds.

Nonetheless, with a cutter it worked like a charm.

I just wanted to check if it is doable at home at all, not to produce the best possible hole. If the tests show that this direction is interesting, I'll think how to improve the process or give it to a professional (Jeweler? Who else can have an ultrasonic drilling machine?)

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Fun stuff!

Bingo. The plot seems to be going far enough along, so I don't much mind N*I, or magnetic path length (which you don't know anyway, because, solenoid plus core, how do you measure that?). :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Were I malicious, I would say the more turns you have there, the more we are interested in their exact number. ;-P

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

I would start with a large damped sine wave; amplitude decreasing slowly... To gain info for refining the process, dynamically measure as many aspects as possible.

Robert Baer