How to monitor night sleep ? (Recording audio at night/during sleep)

I don't think there's much connection between ghost boxes & ghosts

a trivial matter for most digital computers with a HDD.

no news there :)

Getting back to reality would be a more effective solution

buyers of what? I don't think he's designing a product to sell.

early cassettes occasionally did that too

The insane idea that one is the centre of other's attention is nothing rare. The reality is that strangers could not care less.

Reply to
tabbypurr

May I humbly suggest you re-read the OP's original rant. Notice this section which indicates that he is considering marketing his contrivance: In article , wrote: Offer it for sail as: "Night tracker" or something or "Sleep monitor" or "Sleep tracker" or "Night audio surveillance" or "Sleep overwatcher" or Something creative you can come up with. "Night protector" Perhaps it will sell.

Nope. You couldn't hear much of the crosstalk or print-through buried under the hiss. Various schemes to reduce the hiss (Dolby B) equally reduced the recorded voices of the dead.

I do most of my useful work at night. (Some things are best done under the cover of darkness). I hear plenty of noises. Barking dogs, raccoons emptying trash cans, the neighborhood owl, rats and mice under the house, an irritating rooster, my refrigerator, buzz from some switching power supplies, smartphone notifications, etc. In the morning, these sounds are augmented by falling acorns, and a battle between the squirrels, cats, dogs, blue jays, etc for supremacy on my flat roof. If the proposed device actually worked, the recordings would be dominated by these noises.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I didn't think he was being serious on that point. I still don't.

occasionally cassettes did produce a lot of print-through, but not often. That issue disappeared by the early 80s

I never liked DNR, dolby B or C.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I wonder if something similar could be used to self diagnose sleep apnea

dolby only reduced hf, and print-through had reduced hf due to the tape thickness

thankfully Dynamic Noise Reduction was Not Resuscitated once dolby came along.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It doesn't matter what you or I think. He thinks that he is serious.

Yep. It was noticeable with very thin C-90 (0.4 mils thick) and C-120 (0.24 mils thick). Wikipedia claims that there were C-180 tapes, but I never saw any of those:

Dolby Labs is projecting for fiscal year 2019: "Total revenue will range from $1.23 billion to $1.25 billion." "Gross margin percentages will be approximately 87 percent on a GAAP basis." One might suspect that the GUM (great unwashed masses) are quite willing to purchase products with Dolby noise reduction technology.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

You could definitely monitor snoring and gasping by listening, but when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea five years ago the best device I found to monitor my progress was the CMS 50D Plus fingertip pulse oximeter. Logs pulse and O2 saturation once a second as long as the batteries last (up to

48 hrs for 2 AAA cells), then you download it to a PC and process it there. It may be discontinued, I only found one seller on amazon
$39). I even logged a couple of other people, one of whom clearly had issues but didn't believe it until I showed her the logs, then she went to a sleep doctor and now has a CPAP.
--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

It does. It's called a "Smart Phone". They're sometimes used to diagnose sleep apnea.

Reply to
krw

I didn't read the thread far enough.

Reply to
krw

I would put it the other way round

Multiband noise gating is the way to go now. Dolby must be into something else these days.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Recording tapes with Dolby 'on' and replaying them with it 'off' gives a worthwhile boost to the highest frequencies for gentlemen over a certain age.

Cursitor Doom

I did that for many years. It means hf is lost at higher volumes. Dolby B&C are history now with multichannel noisegating, there's just no comparison.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

For quality of sleep statistics try the SnoreLab app for the iphone. Identifies snoring, apnea, REM sleep, etc.

Reply to
jjhudak4

Sampson CR-3 is about $120 USD and is switchable between cardioid/omni and has a 3 position (IIRC) filter switch to change roll-off characteristics. Shock mounts are available for it.

Reply to
jjhudak4