How to hold a soldering iron.

I'm not worried about a soldering iron damaging the FLIR, although something really hot might. Ii just saturates somewhere above 200C.

The black trash bag thing might work to extend the range a bit. A few mils of bag is almost transparent, so the layer count might be tuned.

I'm guessing that a camera-type IR filter won't help, but I'll try it. Somebody else has the FLIR just now. It's pretty popular.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote in news:vonaibhcdme9sv83113bemvnsf534eevt9 4ax.com:

Reply to
John Doe

hmm, ususual soldering iron.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Iron has a high impedance (like a resistor) even at a few kHz due to skin e ffect being especially pronounced in ferromagnetic materials. Instead of op eration a trigger style soldering iron at 50/60 Hz and having high current running everywhere with high losses, take the frequency up to a few kHz. Yo u can use thin wire for the transformer secondary, lossy connections are mu ch less of a problem and all the heat is concentrated where it is needed.

Reply to
sean.c4s.vn