how much current can AWG wire handle

IME, "thou" is what machinists and MEs use(d) to talk in inches *

1E-3, and "mils" is what EEs and electronic technicians use to talk in inches * 1E-3. Those of us who work in both (all four?) worlds tend to switch terminology as appropriate to the situation.

For example, inch system insulation thickness is always "mils". Tolerances on machined holes are always "thou" in the inch system.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Then hopefully NASA never buys parts from metric countries.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

You have reached the CPX-2000 Voice Blackmail System.  Your voice patterns are
now being digitally encoded and stored for later use.  Once this is done, our
computers will be able to use the sound of YOUR voice for literally thousands of
illegal and immoral purposes.  There is no charge for this initial consultation.
 However our staff of professional extortionists will contact you in the near
future to further explain the benefits of our service, and to arrange for your
schedule of payment.  Remember to speak clearly at the sound of the tone.  Thank
you.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Well, I'm not going to argue with you Spehro but, as a young "Technical assistant" in the BBC's transmitter department, when we were assembling the capacitors for the final stage grid transformers on the Marconi SWB18 HF transmitters, we always measured the Mica sheets (if you can call something around 4"x3" a sheet) in "thou". Throughout my entire career as an electronic engineer with the BBC, I don't recall anyone using the term "mil" instead of "thou".

Of course, in those early days, we frequently "rubbed shoulders" with the mechanical engineering technicians. Those old pre-war transmitters required a range of skills. 10mW of audio in, 100kW of amplitude modulated carrier out. 11kV HT was from continuously pumped, steel tank, mercury arc rectifiers; bias and filament from motor-generator sets and lots of water and air for cooling. Maybe their use of terminology "rubbed off" on us electronic bods.

Regards Stuart.

--
Stuart Winsor

See: http://www.barndance.org.uk
Reply to
Stuart

Interesting, we have 250Kwatt 100khz oscillators that require 260 amps @

12V ac to warm up the fil.. and put -15VkDC cathode voltage from a 3 phase SCR driving supply, we're good to go.!

"

Reply to
Jamie

The original valves in those transmitters (CAT29 triodes in push-pull class C for the final) had pure tungsten filaments running at 20V DC. By the time I saw them they had CAT30s with thioriated (sp?) tungsten and were fed at 9V. Same MG set, just lower field current. IIRC the filament generators were capable of 2000A. DC was used to avoid hum modulation of the output and the polarity was reversed every week. Later transmitters used AC fills, usually two phase derived by Scott connection of the supply transformers.

The last HF transmitters I worked on before moving on to "domestic services" were Marconi 300kW using a single Thomson Tetrode for the output

- Hypervapourtron (tm) cooling and Pyroblock (tm) grid. Apart from the output valve pretty well everything was solid state, including the 25kV rectifier stack.

--
Stuart Winsor

See: http://www.barndance.org.uk
Reply to
Stuart
Ï "Stuart" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá news: snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk...

A 300 MW brown coal unit which I visited in Kozani (east Macedonia-area of Greece, not the country) had a shunt DC generator, for the excitation of the alternator. It was 220 V, 1000 A, and had brushes the size of bricks. The alternator's output was 21 kV, 10 kA with special aluminium rails going directly to the unit's transformer, where they were upped to 400 kV, 400 A for transmission to Athens.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

You're a goddamned idiot.

In Usenet, line length should be held below 72 characters. You are too stupid to grasp the reasons why. Guess what, dumbfuck? We are in Usenet here. How many other forums have you invaded and interloped in?

This is why Microsoft's Outlook Express, and other, stupid MS products (as well as others') that use e-mail writing paradigms in forums where the rest of the world does things differently. A blatant, overt thumbing of the nose, which is what they and anyone that uses their shit software in Usenet should get.

This ain't email.

And no, your "solution" further emblazons just how retarded you are across your Usenet dipshit forehead.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

snip

to him in my killfile. Go snuggle up, you'll get on well together.

Oh, the shear wit!

Bwuahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Coming from an absolute Usenet retard that doesn't even know what the line length is... That's rich.

You are dumber than a beached whale carcass. Beached and dead is pretty damned dumb, boy.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

My screen is wide enough for 160 characters. Yours is probably 120? At any rate, if your newsreader is working properly, my lines will wrap to your screen size, whatever that may be. Why the hell would you want it in a neat column with blank space to the right, and have to scroll further down to read the whole message?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Women are like a pack of cards... you need a heart to love them, diamonds to
marry them, a club to kill them and a spade to bury them.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

to him in my killfile. Go snuggle up, you'll get on well together.

Tell the silly troll he'll have to find someone else to annoy.

A young couple wanted to join their local church, the pastor told them, 'We have a special requirement for new member couples. You must abstain from sex for one whole month' The couple agreed, but after two-and-a-half weeks returned to the Church. When the Pastor ushered them into his office, the wife was crying and the husband was obviously very depressed. 'You are back so soon...Is there a problem?' the pastor inquired. 'We are terribly ashamed to admit that we did not manage to abstain from sex for the required month'. The young man replied sadly. The pastor asked him what happened. 'Well, the first week was difficult......However, we managed to abstain through sheer willpower. The second week was terrible, but with the use of prayer, we managed to abstain. However, the third week was unbearable. We tried cold showers, prayer, reading from the Bible...anything to keep our minds off Carnal Thoughts'. 'One afternoon my wife reached for a can of paint and dropped it. When she bent over to pick it up, I was overcome with lust and I just had my way with her right then and there. It was lustful, loud, passionate sex. It lasted for over an hour and when we were done we were both drenched in sweat,' admitted the man, shamefacedly. The pastor lowered his head and said sternly, 'You understand this means you will not be welcome in our church'. 'We know' said the young man, hanging his head, 'We're not welcome at Homebase either'

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Lever: As in a flush lever?

Reply to
Twayne

Is that ALL the pommy pussy AOL retard can muster?

Bwuahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

other is a command to strip the text below.

Dumbass. The remark was about how stupid you are about line length, yet you want us all to believe you have brains because your retarded ass decided to get a grasp of how a sig works.

A: You ARE utterly retarded about line length.

and

B: We all already know that you do not possess any brains, much less intelligence, so you can stop trying to impress folks.

That is aside from the fact that the material you choose to 'impress us' with further proves just how stupid you are.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

As in pieces of shit like you... Yes.

You have to have an IQ over 40 to post here.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

wants the same width.

Good for them, you retarded f*ck. This is Usenet. Here, it doesn't matter what you or "everybody' 'wants'.

There are conventions. I would not expect a complete and utter retard like you to grasp that fact, since you are obviously too goddamned stupid to even know what a convention is.

You epitomize Usenet stupidity.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Go the f*ck away, you retarded ditz!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

wants the same width.

Again, you aren't even touching in the subject in hand, just writing stupid insults.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

His wife had been killed in an accident and the police were questioning Finnegan.
"Did she say anything before she died?" asked the sergeant.
"She spoke without interruption for about forty years," said the Irishman.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

No, you go away. You're the one who can't hold a decent conversation. [Into the bin you go with Ian]

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

The most effective way to remember your wife\'s birthday is to forget it once.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

insults.

No. You and your word wrap 'solution' stupidity is what does not even touch anything about Usenet.

You are a Usenet interloper, at best. You know about sig delimiters, but your knowledge about Usenet itself hovers right at zero.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever