How Hot Should a Hard-Drive Be?

Usually the readout is in Celcius. They should run in the 30's. If it's in the 50's, worry. If it's in the 60's, turn it off and cool it, then back up.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Use speedfan if you are not already. Even without custom configuration it's good.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Horseshit. They should be in the thirties if they were idle for hours on end in a cool house. But that is about it.

More kaka. If you just defragged it or re-indexed a database or watched a movie or any number of other operations, it WILL BE hot.

50° C ain't all that hot.

I have even seen them this hot, but they were older drives of yesteryear, which is the only thing you have going for you that is even close to being right. Newer drives *do* run cooler, but even 60°C is not a full on alarm condition.

Far better to examine the SMART logs and see what the DRIVE TELLS YOU about the temp profile.

Reply to
SoothSayer

These guys seem to agree with 30C-50C as a normal to high temp range.

This one says up to 60C is OK.

Reply to
hamilton

60°C is the maximum temperature of many modern disk drives. Not recommended.
JW

Could be... PC-Club

I've never, ever, bought from "a real pro manufacturer" (except for the ThinkPad).

My first 386 + co-processor cost me around $6K, when IBM's were going for $15K ...Jim Thompson

Well, then ...

It's usually a mistake not to. In the same sense that you buy your cars from Nissan and not from Outsourcistan Autoworks.

Mine was around the same, but from the real pros, from Tandon. Inside it was built like a tank.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The only PC I ever had a problem with was the Dell I bought for my Dad.

Mine never failed... it just got out-dated, and replaced, by a 486. ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

have you swapped the PC power supply for another? my old 900MHz Athlon PC is on it's third supply.(and running W98SE) I also had a bad CPU fan that caused the PC to beep on bootup. It spun,but was drawing too much current.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's next. I only have a couple of spare PC supplies on hand ;-)

I think I'll change out the chassis fan as well. ...Jim Thompson

It is where nearly any drive will end up with constant head move operations.

60C is the beginning of the window where one start looking into thermal management/abatement. Especially if it spent a huge period NOT running that hot.

The PROFILE id the thing. If one tracks temperatures throughout one's systems, one can thwart nearly any impending failure mode.

I did NOT do this with my 32" LCD 5 years ago, when the PS in it puked after only 3 1/2 years.

The culprit is CRUD.

It is sad too. I am 4 blocks from the cleanest air hitting a shore anywhere in the world, and the damned retarded grounds keepers are blowing so goddamned much dust around that my gear is getting blanketed and failing?

Who do I sue? The landlord for hiring an incompetent, or the incompetent?

Reply to
SoothSayer

I don't put much trust in memory tests. The last computer I dealt with had occasional BSODs. Multiple memory tests didn't show any problems. Replacing the memory fixed it. I've been using G.Skill memory lately.

For a prebuilt computer, I've been buying cheapo Acer or HP computers. For engineering use, I build my own. I've been using the ASrock mother boards and I7 processors. They seem to work quite well and even have a serial port & Firewire!

Reply to
qrk

I _may_ have found the problem. I had been using an old version of Everest. For fun I downloaded SpeedFan. It reports +12V is actually

+8.66V :-( Everest reported it as +12.22V.

I also note that Everest swapped fans... the slow one is actually chassis.

Anyone know of another such program, to verify the SpeedFan results? ...Jim Thompson

=B0F.

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

e if

.

=A0(General

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Sure! It's called Digital Multimeter. Simply open up the case, and connect the probes to the fan power connector. It's platform- independent! =3D)

Reply to
Michael

 (General

Yes, I forgot that safe place. I always get nervous poking around such a fine-line PCB. ...Jim Thompson

(General

There is a tool I bought at Fry's which you hook up to you power supply, and it tells you what all your voltages are.

If it really is reading 8.6 V accurately, it is time for a new SMPS.

Reply to
SoothSayer

I've got two and they give different answers. I tested a know bad PSU (known bad because replacing it fixed the no-boot problem)

The lcd model with voltage readouts passed it, but the LED model with just idiot lights, failed it on the ripple detector.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

wrote=20

~110=B0F.

was=20

Maybe, i have about given up on my 14 year old lappy. Plus i am about to recycle a running desktop about as old.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk