How can I use a quartz to make a high Q filter?

I want to make a bandpass filter at 6 MHz with Q>1000. It seems the only known application of quartzes on the market is oscillators.

Are there ready-made filters? Otherwise which circuit do I have to associate with the quartz? Or are there other solutions?

--
Jean-Pierre Coulon
Reply to

In message , Jean-Pierre Coulon writes

Xtal filters have been commercially available for decades , or you can make your own -e.g

9_Feature.pdf

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to

A 6 MHz quartz will have an equivalent circuit as shown in

This circuit exhibits a series and a parallel resonance respectively at frequencies fs and fp with fs

Reply to
o pere o

You can make any filter profile you like, using crystals, as long as the bandwidth is not ridiculously wide (more than a few kHz). The necessary factors are: source/load impedance versus crystal (characteristic) impedance; and coupling between crystal(s).

From the other replies, it sounds like you want a repeated pole filter, or something more linear-phase?

Obviously, you can always get a single pole pair from one crystal.

The standard network is a series chain of crystals. Coupling is controlled with a capacitor to ground, at each node between crystals. Crystal frequency is trimmed with a capacitor in series with each crystal.

Beware spurs: crystals resonate at frequencies above their cut frequency, with various bandwidths, impedances and couplings. A quality filter system still needs modestly high-Q LC filters to help attenuate these.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

"Jean-Pierre Coulon"  wrote in message

I want to make a bandpass filter at 6 MHz with Q>1000. It seems the only
known
application of quartzes on the market is oscillators.

Are there ready-made filters? Otherwise which circuit do I have to
associate
with the quartz? Or are there other solutions?
Reply to
Tim Williams

Try searching on "single-crystal filter". You may get something.

Basically, when it's close to resonance, the crystal looks like a several- henry inductor, in series with a several-fempto-farad cap, all in parallel with a few-pF cap. So build on that.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to