Reply to
brent

aples-authorities-/

Reply to
brent

..

brent

Commonplace around here. Surf for the one in Mesa where the 911 operator is telling a woman, "Tell you mother she can stop shooting now" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

1) Error page (prolly due to incomplete address) 2) Homeower is in DEEP shit: a) Liable for charge of murder one followed by sentence to death. b) burglar's relatives will sue for all kinds of damages, making homeowner bankrupt.

Courts will be on burglar's side (based on past performance of courts).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not necessarily, in NM. There's a lot of support of the 2nd Amendment there. It _is_ the wild west, you know.

But as far as shooting through the door:

How did he know the guy was at the door? Presumably from the noises of someone attempting to break in. There had been a raft of burglaries and home invasions in the burg and so the guy was in fear for his life.

The police investigators _did_ say that they would check for physical evidence that the crook was trying to break in.

I think they'll find it.

Hooray for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

Self-Defense is Self-Respect. (I just made that up - how do I make it a popular catchphrase and get famous for it?)

Cheers! Rich

Vote Ron Paul 2012:

Rich Grise

BB > Courts will be on burglar's side (based on past performance of courts).

Northern states tend to see personal protection and law enforcement as EXCLUSIVELY the territory of Police.

Northern states like to prosecute people who shoot burglars/robbers.

Bernie Goetz in NY was "charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment, and several firearms offenses. A jury found him not guilty of all charges except an illegal firearms possession count, for which he served two-thirds of a one-year sentence.

Stuff like this gets people criminally convicted, too.

I know there was one in Florida where the business owner kept getting repeatedly robbed, so he did something similar.

Family of electrocuted thief gets $75,000 from jury

Dan Rozek The family of a convicted burglar who was electrocuted in 1997 when he tried to break in to a bar in Aurora after-hours and triggered a homemade booby trap has been awarded a $75,000 jury verdict to be paid by the owners of the bar and the property.

Larry Harris was wrong to try to break in to George O's Place, but the bar and property owners share responsibility for his death, the Kane County jury reasoned in ordering the wrongful-death payout after a two- week trial.

Frustrated after three burglaries at his tavern in a month, Jessie Ingram installed the homemade security system in late July 1997. He jury-rigged the inside of the bar's windows so anyone breaking in would get a strong shock, then posted several warning signs outside, including one outside the window Harris broke in through.

Drunk and high on cocaine, Harris, 37, either didn't see or ignored the warnings. He forced open a rear window and crawled in, triggering the homemade, electrified booby trap just five days after it was installed.

In a verdict returned Friday, jurors placed 50 percent of the blame for the death on Harris, but assigned the bar's owners 40 percent and placed 10 percent on the property's owner.

No criminal charges were filed.

Jurors weren't allowed to be told that Harris was drunk and on cocaine, nor that he had served time in prison for two burglary convictions.

The verdict sends a message that property owners can't use lethal security systems to defend their homes and businesses, said John Winters, the Chicago lawyer who represented Harris' mother and brother in the civil case.

"You can't set these type of traps because property isn't worth a human life," Winters said, adding that the booby traps might just as easily have been tripped by firefighters or police officers answering an emergency call at the bar.

Ingram was a defendant in the lawsuit but died last year before the case went to trial against the remaining defendants, including his wife, Barbara Ingram.

Barbara Ingram's lawyer said the award left the Aurora woman "devastated."

"She's the victim, and she gets victimized again," said attorney Fred Morelli, who also represented the property owner, Alma Moody of Virginia.

Morelli said the jury ended up giving Harris' family "more than he would have earned in his entire life" and promised to appeal the verdict.

Winters contends there was little evidence linking Harris to the earlier break-ins and said it wasn't clear why Harris was entering the bar through the window around 2 a.m.

"We're never going to know Larry's intent, but we know Jessie's intent," Winters said, noting that, after installing and testing the security system, Ingram then boosted its power to 220 volts from 110 volts. "There was a clear intent to cause harm."

Harris' brother, William, couldn't be reached Monday for comment. In an earlier interview, he said, "I know my brother wasn't an angel, but I don't feel like the way he died was justified."

Reply to
Greegor

Why the moron didn't shoot lower down is a mystery. Even if the bullet went between the perp's legs, what burglar is going to hang around when slugs start coming through the door?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

burglar-

drive...

n...

You accomplish nothing by shooting burglars unless the system is rebuilt in a way that producing more criminals becomes unworthy.

Reply to
asdf
[snip]

I guarantee I'm a better shot than you, and better trained. Besides I'm originally a West Virginia country boy... 30-06 trained as soon as I could bring it to shoulder.

I suspect that you're all hat and no horse ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I could out shoot my instructor in basic training with the worn out M16 they issued me. He walked away, muttering "Damn country boys!"

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

KY and WV... main sources of Army sharp-shooter snipers. ...Jim Thompson

My parents met & were married in Appalachia, in eastern Kentucky. They moved away while I was a kid. I had used a pistol enough to be good with it, but the only time I had fired a rifle prior to the military was a beat up old 22 rifle when I was in the Boy Scouts.

My instructor emptied and entire clip and couldn't hit any target on my position, but he did take down one on the next position, because of the bad barrel. That M16 was really easy to clean, since the rifling was completely worn away. :(

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Wrong.... sgt. York was from TN :-)

Reply to
brent

In modern wars, like Korea and Vietnam...

TN has since gone leftist... the Gore's are from Tennessee ;-) ...Jim Thompson

At least for the USMC, they tend have the better luck with city boys having no previous weapons training. Have heard this from more than one PMI.

In my bootcamp series, the top shooters were urban folk. So we could say that the country-boy shootist is an urban myth...

Reply to
Brian

Or that the USMC lied to city boys, to make them feel better after discovering most of their gear was handme downs for the other branches of the US military.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

You have demonstrated no knowledge of the subject.

The corps developed the original M16A2 and the M16A4 is standard marine issue; it is not found in all army infantry units. Also, only the USMC has the SAM-R, based on the USMC-originated "Squad Advanced Marksman", which the Army adopted with the subsequent (less performance) SDM-R. The forward deployed marine grunt has better personnel equipment than an army infantry soldier in the same operational sector.

The problem with the USMC 'style' of operations is the logistics train - it is not nearly sophisticated as the U.S. Army's support.

Finally, I grew up in rural Texas. It had nothing better to offer over where we later moved to in urban San Antonio, except less ignorance and less skilled people and less intolerance.

Shut up. Sit down. Let the men handle the problem.

Reply to
Brian