Higher frequency soldering gun.

I guess every soldering gun is 50/60Hz. However I was thinking that the sk in effect is very dramatic with iron and the impedance will increase rapidl y with frequency. It seems like a way to concentrate more of the power into the tip of the iron rather than having a lot of power being dissipated in the windings/connections etc. You would have to be careful about what would happen at the curie point of the iron tip if it should ever get (red) hot.

I found this curiosity as well:

fs/US3704434.pdf

Reply to
sean.c4s.vn

On Wed, 11 May 2016 23:46:32 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Wrong. Metcal uses high frequency drive.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Real guns (not irons) resistively heat the tip directly with high current, no insulation, so any frequency will work. The common structure, where the tip is a 1-turn secondary on a line-powered transformer, is cheap and works well. They can deliver a huge amount of heat, hundreds of watts.

Do you know of a gun that's not line frequency?

I have seen some soldering irons with regular iron-type tips, but a gun-type handle, basically toy guns.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature