high voltage inductors

Of course, when dealing with electronics connected directly to mains, one should understand that is not enough to just barely handle the nominal mains voltage.

Typically 1500 V peaks should be sustainable.

For equipment connected higher in the distribution chain, such as energy meters, need to sustain 2500 Vpeak or even more.

Reply to
upsidedown

Erm, the man did say "DC". Put differently... you can't hi-pot a winding.

The matter is only made more difficult by high frequency effects. Which is the only way you ever could possibly hi-pot an inductor.

No one has any clue how much clearance and creepage to allow for high frequencies, but everyone suspects it should be more. How much more? 10%?

200%?

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

I don't think John wants to use them at DC. What would that be good for other than creating a magnetic field?

At higher frequencies you'll get more AC leakage current through all sorts of parasitic capacitances.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"Joerg"

** I think it does - eg:

" The PD HV is a cost-effective and small solution as an input filter in AC/DC switch-mode power supplies. The products find their usage in the LED lighting market for un-isolated, step-down designs in LED light bulbs."

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This is not exactly simple.. Firstly, it would seem that the spec should be refined. Say the max voltage end-to-end of the inductor would be 6KV. Next, the physical size and then the actual inductance are considerations. May i suggest you start with an air-core inductor with at least 0.001 spacing everywhere to decrease possible arc-over between turns? This physical design becomes critical in high voltage work. Double-build or triple-build wire allows tight spacing of the turns,and can help keep the overall size reasonable, even with a ferrite core.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I haven't checked prices, and I'm sure you want to do it yourself but I just ran across this site with miniature hv supplies. Wide range of products, may come in handy for some project. Mikek

amdx

Which site?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yep, always a good idea to put a link with the tease.

Their home page,

Sorry, Mikek

amdx

Yeah! Like Ultavolt; good range of very nice power supplies at reasonable prices. The mainstay in my arsenal is one that has programmable current limit (constant current) and programmable voltage (constant voltage).

Reply to
Robert Baer