High voltage CE amplifier

Is it possible to design a HV CE amplifier that is robust with high gain using a bjt such as the 2N6517? I cannot get high gain and stay within spec for Vbe. I'm looking for a gain of about 10 with Vcc around 300V. I'll buffer the output if need be.

Thanks

Reply to
jon.jukoba

What are you really trying to do? Your statements don't compute.

A voltage gain of 10 with a Vcc of around 300V should be a snap, with quite a few different parts including the 2N6517 (although you're not leaving yourself much safety margin with that part).

Did you mean HFE > 10? Is there a reason you can't use a Darlington connected pair? What current?

VBE (VEB?) is nearly immaterial -- design your amplifier so that the emitter never gets above the base, and you don't have a problem here. Did you mean VCE or VCB?

A two-minute search of the Digikey site coughed up the KSC5502. It has a VCE of 600V, and an HFE of 40 at 100mA. When you get the current up to the thing's rated 1A the HFE goes way down -- but there's no law that says you have to use it there.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

define robust. define high gain define your specs for Vbe gain of 10 current or voltage, or hfe (not same if using an IF transformer) Give us a clue what you want and what the other unstated requirements are, maybe then someone can help

Reply to
NT

If you have a conflict between dc conditions and high gain, you can always use a dynamic Rc ie another transistor as a collector resistor.

Reply to
HardySpicer