High speed discret amplifier

Slow down smu, if you want a +/-50V swing (100Vp-p) at 20MHz, that'll require a slew rate of S = 2pi f A = 6280V/us, which is *not* easy. If the load includes some capacitance, even 6-feet of coax, you'll need an output-current capability of i = S C = 6.3E9 * 180pF = 1.1A peak. Even if your peak-peak need is less than 100V, you may still find one of these parameters giving you trouble. At any rate, you may be looking at a fairly-serious RF power amp.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

How linear? Whats the gain got to be? What's the load? Whats the bandwidth?

It only requires a few tens of MHz to get to 1000V/uS. A fairly simple common source amplifier using a fast MOSFET could do this.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Hello,

I search the best structure about an amplifier that can perform:

  • a slew rate of 1000 V/µs
  • an output that can swing between +/- 50V

If someone has some suggestion or some schematic, it would be great.

smu

Reply to
smu

Hello,

I search the best structure about an amplifier that can perform:

  • a slew rate of 1000 V/µs
  • an output that can swing between +/- 50V

If someone has some suggestion or some schematic, it would be great.

Thank you in advance

smu

Reply to
smu

This point is not so critical.

The gain must be 8.

The load is a 400 ohms resistor.

A bandwidth of 20 MHz is enough.

Good idea.

Thank you

smu

Reply to
smu

This is looking like:

ASCII art:

+500V ! \ / \ 1K / ! !!-+------- Output -----!! !!- ! / \ 33R / ! -100V

MOSFET on:

Drain side Vth = 500 * 400/(1K + 400) = 143V Rth = 286

I = (143 + 100) / (286 + 33) = 0.76A

P(33) = 0.76^2 * 33 = 19W

P(1K) = (500 + 100 - 33*0.76)^2/1K = 391W

The MOSFET will have to be quite big or perhaps a few in parallel.

400//1K with Cds must be above 20MHz so:

20MHz < 1 / (2*PI*286*C)

C < 1 / (2*PI*286*20MHz)

C < 27.8pF

That's trouble brewing!

We can

(1) lower the resistances and boil a lot of water. Since water is nearly free and I like tea, I'll suggest you consider this first.

(2) Place a series RC combination across the 33R to put a compensating zero in. You need to know the characteristics of a proposed MOSFET. It may not be posible.

(3) Add feedback and more gain. Complexity will grow quickly if you must stay discrete.

(4) Add a peaking coil. This like the RC again may not be enough.

(5) Use tricky cascoding because the 1000V/uS limits the 20MHz amplitude. This is too messy.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Another suggestion. Have a a look at some APEX amplifiers. There is at least one that does 1000V/us.

Not cheap but possibly quicker useable than a selfbuilt one.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

I said 20 MHz but I need only 2 MHz so I think I need 1257 V/µs. If I have understood the preceding information, the output current capability must be 80 mA for a 60pF load.

smu

Reply to
smu