Heat sink lock in retaining spring

Anyone had the misfortune to encounter these?

I bought some for use with the appropriate heat sinks some years ago. While I did eventually manage to fit them, doing so seemed to require simultaneous dexterity and strength. There seemed considerable scope for destroying the (quiet expensive, in my case) devices to be cooled.

Perhaps there's a special tool (at a special tool type price), but I have not found mention of one. Somehow I don't see assembly-line workers achieving smooth progress with these.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I don't know anything about these clips, but it's not uncommon for heat sinks to be rather hard to attach. They want to keep it as low cost as possible, while keeping pressure on the heat sink for a good fit. Ease of use seems to be secondary. The factory knows how to make it all work.

An image of heat sink might help. Is there a bracket that bolts to the mother board?

Reply to
Ricky

They look somewhat similar to SS clips used to hold glass onto metal-framed greenhouses here in the UK. They require considerable force to put in place with the added hazard of trying to avoid breaking the glass!

Jeff Layman

The heat sink has a grooved slot at the base into which one can tap one or more M3 bolts. The heat sink is made of aluminium of course, so tapping the bolt works well enough.

As I check through my records, I find that the devices at risk were nothing like as expensive as I'd thought. Still removing a 5 lead device and replacing it is a tiresome exercise.

In future I'll stick with heat sinks that accept a bolt through the (TO220-5) device.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I'm actually using

60 Newtons is quite a lot of force to be applying by hand to the end of the clip, while at the same time trying not apply any force to the device until the clip is in the correct position.

While that force is being applied to allow the clip to pass in front of the device, the friction at the pivot point is much increased, making it difficult to slide the clip sideways.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Some big mosfets don't have a mounting hole. That leaves more room for silicon. We clip mount them, but with screws.

At the 5ish watt level, we surface mount dpaks and use a surface-mount heatsink.

No insulator?

Must the clip be loaded from the end or can it be loaded from the face, possibly by using wide mouth pliers as a press.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

It can be placed into the slot in the face easily - no force required - but with only about 2mm clearance between the clip and face. Significant force is then required to pull it outwards to clear the device being cooled.

No doubt a special tool could be devised.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

In this case the heat sink was isolated, and the device was an audio frequency power amplifier. Built onto a home-etched board[*], two have worked without incident for many years.

Sylvia

[*] I don't do this any more. Much too troublesome.
Reply to
Sylvia Else

For insertion, an oversized pair of pincing pliers will work.

For removal, a screw driver pry. Don't re-use the clip.

Helps if the heatsink and clips are designed for each other, and the right size for the package and mounting height intended.

If it's too difficult to get a reliable and secure mount, use a different mounting method. This stuff is not intended for one-off projects.

RL

RL

Reply to
legg

Eventually one gets tired of the hassle and mess, especially with ferric chloride under ones fingernails.

Multilayer, plated-thru, solder masked, silkscreened boards are cheap now, thank Goodness.

There is an instant-set (modestly) thermally conductive Locktite.

I like surface-mount fets with surface-mount heat sinks.

Standing up, just bolt a TO220 or TO247 to an isolated heat sink.