Headphone output current

I want to use the headphone output from an MP3 player to drive a
homemade audio amp. How can I be sure I do not damage the headphone
output by drawing too much current?

Tim K.

Re: Headphone output current

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:24:40 +1000, in sci.electronics.design Tim

Normally this would not be a problem, as headphones are about 32 ohms
impedance, and your homebrew amplifier should be a much higher
impedance, say 10000 ohms.

But if you get your amp design wrong, I would suggest a series
resistor of say 1Kohms in series with a nonpolar capacitor of 47uF
63V, to protect your MP3 player

martin

Re: Headphone output current

That won't happen. More likely damage the input of your amp unless you
designed it to accept signals of a 1000mv or so.

Site Timeline