*gasp* Useful EDN article on tantalum caps

I could do that in my Z. :-)

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

IBM used kabillions of the things for direct power rail bypassing, as well. The problems were mainly because it was almost impossible to guarantee they were stuffed the right way. They came up with all sorts of schemes, including integrated fuses in the package, to solve the problem. Last I knew, they still use tons of them (and run around in a panic when the global supply of tantalum dries up, as it does every decade or so).

I still use tantalums (Aluminums, yuck!) for bulk capacitance. The only problem we're having with them is T0 shorts on 220uF 16V caps. Some circuits have a 10 or 25ohm 0603 series resistor and it takes that out.

Reply to
krw

Phut - *BANG*! Yeah, sorta. ;-)

Reply to
krw

them

tants

they

current

and

Pellet stove? It'll be 90F today, and humid (T-boomers soon).

Reply to
krw

[...]

We had to heat until end of May. Global warming, you know :-)

Pellet stove is done, now it's the wood stove. Way easier, piece of cake. Then comes my all time favorite honey-do job, cleaning the ash vacuum .

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I split off talking about ELs in the same breath. Sorry you missed it.

Reply to
Mycelium

innews: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

Cool first hand info and response.

Reply to
Mycelium

Yeah, tell me about it. I've been running the AC since the middle of April (both on this weekend). I never used to run the AC until July. ;-)

No ashes here; gas logs.

Reply to
krw

We have the heat on now. All year, in fact. Quite a change from New Orleans.

John

It's ironic that heating oil washes up on the beach where you don't need it. :(

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mycelium

$88 each. Cool.

John

So, you can read ads and do math. Me too.

Reply to
Mycelium

Made in the USA for the use of USA customers only.

Keep a hard working US cap maker employed today, buy Evans' capacitors!

Reply to
Mycelium

=20

=20

I kind of have to agree, i haven't seen or heard of much stuff that useful in EDN for over 40 years. Of course i have not been a subscriber for over 25 years over the lack of content.

Reply to
JosephKK