FREQ COUNTER help

How about some background? What is your experience level at present? This may not be a good project for your forray into electronics.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Not yet you haven\'t...

As Mindert replied, snip whatever\'s not necessary and then start
typing at the end of what\'s left.
Reply to
John Fields

Basically i need to count the photons in the upper atmosphere this is done every other 1msec then transmitted back down to earth at a rate of 833khz via a telemetry system, i need to count from 1 to 65536 so a resolution of 1 is fine.

Thanks

Reply to
Paul Taylor

--
Not quite.  Next comes punctuation and capitalization. :-)
Reply to

I'm going to be the master at this newsgroup business !¬)

Reply to
Paul Taylor

So you already have a circuit that detects 'photons', and a telemetry circuit, but cannot somehow design a simple counter circuit?

Sorry, does not compute.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

"Paul Taylor"

** So you have NO idea what frequency is ??

( Hint - it is a rate expressed in cycles per second )

An electronic counter will count events ( cycles, pulses, rabbits) for just as long as you let it.

Seems your upper frequency is really 65.536 MHz, after all.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

cursor

Bingo!

1

Ok, so use a 16 bit counter which you read-and-reset every ms. You need a VHF capable prescaler (/256 or so) and then feed it into some counter or microcontroller with an external counter input.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

I have bought in a photometer which in turn is connected to a bought in pulse amplifier discriminator (pad), this needs to be feed into a counter to count the pulses which I am to build, the telemetry system is already in place which I haven't built, the bottom line is I need to count the output from the pad which counts the sodium particles and get this count back down to earth.

Thanks

Reply to
Paul Taylor

Sorry Phil I thought this was a serous newsgroup of course got the joke, still it sounded good if you could of got one? i thought for a minute you where referring to something else I had read about on the net where they actually read 1 period and do some maths ect... never mind thanks for your help any way.

Reply to
Paul Taylor

--
Assuming that you\'re talking about the counter in the upper
atmosphere, you\'ll need a circuit which will allow the counter to

Is that what you\'re looking for?
Reply to
John Fields

How are you getting the stuff "up there"? balloon or scud?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

He's at the University of Est Anglia, so he is probably sufficiently well educated to follow the sort of stuff I dish out.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

--
LOL, The sort of stuff you dish out is pap even morons can digest!
Reply to

Come on, John, tell us how you really feel about Bill! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

One does have to adjust the level to match the audience. TTL for you, ECLinPS and GaAs for the more sophisticated.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

If he doesn't, there is the option of a frequency multiplying PLL to consider.

It doesn't need to be synchronous. Only the first stage needs to be able to start and stop in one cycle. The rest of it can be a ripple counter. If you wait for things to calm down after the first stage is stopped, the rippling will finish before you read the counter.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Meindert Sprang wrote: [...]

... or ...

You can use two counter circuits and toggle between them every ms. This way you've got a little time to latch the value away.

You really need a few more flip-flops up in the front end to make sure you don't have any glitches happening because a count cam just at the open of close of the 1mS gate.

Also, but not likely to be what you need: If the frequency range is limited, you can measure the time from the start of the 1mS to the first edge and from the end of the 1mS to the next edge there after and assume the rest.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Why? His one-liner would've been at the bottom of 32 lines. You can't rationalize that difference John. Oh, and in another thread I noticed you getting pissy about it. Forget the valium, mmm?

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

--
The assumption you make is that you're the guru of high speed logic
while, in truth, any of us who've dealt with and built working ECL