Fax detection

Hi,

I'm looking for a way of detecting if a fax is making my phone ring or if it is a voice call. I'd like to have only one phone number, therefore one unique ringtone. So far I thought about building a device that would answer any calls after 5 rings. After it answers I would like it to determine if this is a voice call or a fax calling. Maybe this is impossible, or maybe there is no precise way of doing this but I am hoping that all faxes send somekind of handshake within the first second after the call is answered (that way I could wait

1sec for the handshake, and if I don't get any, route to answering machine)

Anyone could tell me if there is such a mechanism?

Reply to
Patrick

Troll... Try google!

Peter's Troll-o-Meter

Not Troll Troll

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 / / / / / / / O

(Pegged the needle!)

Reply to
PeterD

[snip]

There are boxes you can buy that sense the fax tones and switch to your fax, or ring the phones if it's voice.

I had one years ago before there were PC's ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Multi-Function printers also do that nicely, such as the MFC-7820N here in the office. Connect its fax jack to the phone jack, plug the answering machine into the jack labeled "Answering Machine", done.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

With you around, I imagine it's up around 9 or 10 all the time.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's a logarithmic scale.

Reply to
mpm

If your fax accepts distrinctive ring, that's another possibility. We just yanked our business fax line out. I think we were getting something on the order of 3 faxes a year (2 of those were junk mortgage offers).

Everything's email now. (Except attorneys, of course.)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Until the Internet goes out for a day or some web master thinks he is smarter than all the others and blocks a whole domain to reduce spam. Happened numerous times. Boy was I grateful for that backup fax machine (and so were others here that used it). Internet will never reach the reliability of POTS, it's not as well organized and AFAICT never will be.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I wish it could be a phone blackist similar to SPAMCOP, DSBL, ORDB or like. So the phone spamwhores could be rejected automatically. Unfortunately, the business phone numbers can't be on the non-call list. Also, non-call lists do not help against the so-called non-profit organizations.

Probably true.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

or

As far as the PSTN is concerned a fax machine is no different from an ordinary telephone handset when originating a call.

Only after the receiving end answers a call does the fax machine send its signature tone, and that is the only time it is possible to determine whether a call originates from a fax machine or not.

Some fax machines (auto mode) work on the principle that when an incoming call remains unanswered (by a human) after X number of rings, the call should be answered by itself. If, after answering, the fax machine does not hear any tone from an originating fax, it assumes the call is from a telephone and it then activates its own incoming call sounder once more to try to attract the attention of a human to take a voice call. However, this procedure usually takes so long that by the time a human (if present) hears the second incoming call sounder the originating caller has hung up.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Mine does it differently. It switches to the answering machine right away but cuts that off again when it detects a fax tone. The answering machine then thinks it was a hang-up. Since the fax tone (usually) comes much earlier than the beep of the answering machine the result is exactly what I want: A fax in the tray and no message indicated on the machine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

and if you want to turn those powerful SINGLE LINE telephone gadgets and favorite items , so that they work stemless ly and with no eternal power supply, on TWO lines (an be two pstn lines, two voip lines and the ever popular mixed pstn and voip lines where the sources are disparate) then you need "Combine-a-line" tm.

All sed members get 10% off purchases and paypal checkout for Buy now wins till Christmas.

clt are here

Informative movies here

Best regards

Marco Polo

Reply to
LVMarc

SNIP

Not really, AFAIR. According to the CCITT standard (T30??), the called party has to say first: "I am a fax". instead of the caller saying "I am a fax". At my office we had a fax that strickly followed CCITT and always had trouble with automatic fax switches.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

All the internal fax modems that I know of begin sending the query tone just as soon as they complete the dialing, irrespective of whether the called end has yet answered.

...Jim Thompson

This is my experience as well. I would add that my "all-in-one" printer/fax also send tones immediately after dialing (outbound fax).

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Even they've converted to email. I've been emailing signatures back and forth to patent attorneys for a couple of months. They send the forms, I print, sign, scan, and email back. I've been doing the same with my real estate agent. Everyone still wants the original signatures by snail-mail though.

I was thinking about getting a fax, but since I have no phone line... ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

Hmmm...my stock broker was satisfied that i included a scan of my signature and never asked for an original.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, you got rid of the telemarketer, didn't you? ;-)

I don't know why people don't just get an answering machine. At work here, the receptionist answers the phone, if it's for me, they page me, and I have to go out into the shop to use the phone out there.

Telemarketers don't stay on "hold" for very long. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Wim Ton snipped-for-privacy@bluewin.ch posted to sci.electronics.design:

If that is the standard, it must be in the top ten most disobeyed standards on the planet.

Reply to
JosephKK