Favorite part, Low VF diode, low leakage

Hi

I am working on a forward converter and are into optimizing the diode losses.

Sofar the BAT720 has proven fairly good, but would like to get even lower losses.

So, when the PIV is 20V, I found the DFLS130:

Has really low VF, but one gain seldom comes with a penalty. It has high leakage current at elevated temperatures.

Anyone got a hit for a nice part?

Thanks

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

losses.

leakage current at elevated temperatures.

What's the output current and voltage?

If this a push-pull, transformer-coupled, CT secondary, 2-diode rectifier driving a filter choke?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

losses.

leakage current at elevated temperatures.

No chance to use a FET and control the gate for an active rectifier? Even if that's only for 80-90% of the conduction time that has gotten me out of a pickle a few times.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

losses.

leakage current at elevated temperatures.

Forward converter, 2-diode driving output filer. Current is 40mA, PIV is 30V

I am running it quasi resonant

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

losses.

losses.

leakage current at elevated temperatures.

Yes, I have tried with sync rectification, self driven. Increases efficiency by

1%. Trouble is at that low current the gate charge for the FET takes almost as much that is saved in lower loss from the FET RDSon versus diode.

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

losses.

losses.

leakage current at elevated temperatures.

by 1%. Trouble is at that low current the gate charge for the FET takes almost as much that is saved in lower loss from the FET RDSon versus diode.

Also, using self driven sync FET, I cannot use cycle skipping to remove standby losses, since the FET gate in uncontrolled when the switching stops

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

On a sunny day (Thu, 4 Oct 2012 16:01:59 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Klaus Kragelund wrote in :

losses.

leakage current at elevated temperatures.

Sometimes to really get a low drop, synchrounous rectification with a low RdsON MOSFET is used. All schotkeys are temperature sensitive, their reverse current is high at high temperatures.

You need to specify max current to be able to find a diode, or cool it with a heatsink.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Go looking for a Schottky with a lower forward current rating. Area goes with current rating, reverse current goes with area...

You'll need to juggle forward drop vs. reverse current: pay attention.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Look for a smaller FET! At 40mA, you've got a long way (down) to go.