Fastest way to run a software feedback loop?

That would require a large quantity commitment because of the NRE. If qties are low I'd take a look at an analog solution. And I'd take a really good look at the switch-mode chips out there. They all have the power stage or at least the driver in there, plus loop components. Possibly needs to be combined with a cheap uC if adaptive behavior is needed.

Who knows, maybe this can be done under a buck when using a switcher chip.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Altera seems to keep theirs around for several years, anyway. Xilinx has been iffy with their Coolrunner series, IMO. In any case, there is a better chance the low-end, like CPLDs will be around longer than the high-end stuff. Other than some military parts, those things change faster than womens' fashion.

There are mixed signal FPGAs now. Haven't used one, so I don't know how good they are.

Reply to
krw

=A0I'll test

n and

r a bit

)

eeds to be

. =A0The

d a FET.

lta-sigma?

e for a

z 8051

ons of

has to

that'll

hat, e.g.

g from

r maybe

r,

nt

th

rous

of

the

like

many

for

nds

laser

ee

rea.

as been

chance

=A0Other

.

w good

But they are not cheap. Probably double the cost of a high end micro. BTW, I am running a 96MHz PIC32, roughly equivalent to a

120MHz ARM M3. I read that someone is running 120MHz PIC32 in RAM, or 160 DMIPs.for less than 10 bucks.
Reply to
linnix

=A0I'll test

n and

r a bit

)

eeds to be

. =A0The

d a FET.

lta-sigma?

e for a

z 8051

ons of

has to

that'll

hat, e.g.

g from

r maybe

r,

nt

th

rous

of

the

like

many

for

nds

laser

ee

ng

area.

has been

er chance

=A0Other

on.

how good

PIC32MX575F512H-80 overclocked to 96MHz

8MHz crystal, 24x PLL, /2 CPU clock.
Reply to
linnix

Which PIC # please? I would like to look at that.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

test

bit

to be

 The

FET.

delta-sigma?

for a

8051

of

that'll

e.g.

from

maybe

Twice the price of a high-end micro? I don't think so.

Reply to
krw

=A0I'll test

..

tion and

e or a bit

st.)

l needs to be

ter. =A0The

and a FET.

delta-sigma?

ague for a

0MHz 8051

e tons of

ely has to

But that'll

n that, e.g.

hing from

WM

t or maybe

can

ator,

-cent

nd

with

enerous

ch of

ith the

te like

or many

te for

with

Sounds

as laser

o see

long

t area.

x has been

ter chance

=A0Other

ion.

how good

Yes, you are right. Could be more, much more. The only pricing I can find online is a 600K Actel Fusion on Avnet, listed for $155.

Reply to
linnix

Yes - I have been running an algorithm at 500kHz sampling on a 44MHz ADUC7021 for a while now (ARM32). It ran at 1MHz too but had no time for anything else. The STM32F2 replacing it runs at 120MHz (CortexM3), There is a 168MHz STM32F4 part (Cortex M4). All single chip microcontrollers.

[...]
--

John Devereux
Reply to

How does that compare to execution speed of real C code? PIC32 is MIPS based. Since MIPS is not mainstream and ARM is I'd expect the compilers for the latter to be more efficient.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:38:08 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

My gcc MIPS version is really OK.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Cray 1 was not mainstream either.

PIC32 has 5 stage pipeline. ARM Cortex M3 (ACM3) has 3. ACM3 is not bad, but PIC32 does not suck too badly either.

Compiled from pic32-gcc:

Around 3 millions C +=3D A * B per second at 96MHz running from flash, where A, B and C are 32 bits memory buffer.

People have it running 160MHz in the fridge (for cooling).

Reply to
linnix

But they had loads of money to spend. AFAIK Microchip has made some proprietary additions to GCC for MIPS but the effort is nowhere near the effort that is being put into GCC for ARM.

A deeper pipeline isn't always better. Google for MIPS and 'one delay slot'. You'll learn two things: jumps and calls may be costly and never try to program assembly on a MIPS cpu.

I have been down the MIPS road and quickly discovered there are very few people you can ask for directions.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

M, or

I don't plan on doing too much assembly, that's why we PICk on RISC in the first place.

There are too many forks (roads) for ARM. I/Os for STM is not necessary the same for NXP.

There are times for ARM, but should not rule out MIPS yet.

I am still looking into the PIC32 A2D. Perhaps we can get close to

2,000,000 samples per second.
Reply to
linnix

Just be happy they use the same CPU core nowadays. In the old days each vendor had his own core complemented by a crappy toolchain. Ever chased a bug caused by an error in the compiler?

Using the peripherals is usually easy. Both ST and NXP have a large library on their websites which can serve as an example.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

end

to a

in RA=3D

MIPS

=3DA0ACM3 is no=3D

Just so long as you do not assume that the examples are bug free.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk