Fading LED circuit with 555 timer.. LED stays on..

Hi,

I've built this circuit:

On a breadboard and I'm struggling to get it functioning correctly. The LED just stays on..

How can you tell if the 555 timer chip is working?

Reply to
Phil

led.html

Did you tie pin 4 to pin 8?

Reply to
Nunya

g-led.html

Actually, I think pin 4 (TTL) will float high if unterminated. It's a good idea to connect it high if not used, but should float high if unterminated.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

The fault may be the circuit design. If the BC547 has low gain then the circuit will never charge the cap to the required 2/3 supply voltage to make it change state. Try changing the 220 ohm resistor to 1k - 2.2k. Also in the original circuit substituting for the white LED with anything other than a blue will affect performance. With 2.2k it won't matter

Reply to
David Eather