Eurocard Format PCB

I've been looking at some various PCB formats and found something I don't understand.

The original VME Bus format was called the Eurocard 6U and 3U formats. The 6U is 234mm X 160mm and the 3U is 100mm X 160mm. The 3U mechanical format was then adopted by Compact PCI (and some others).

As everything kept getting smaller some applications used a "Half Eurocard" format which should be 100mm X 80mm. However in looking for some cases to fit this board size I ran across several SBC's that were "Half Eurocard" but were 100mm X 71mm. Other boards use Half Eurocard to mean 100mm X 80mm. I'm very curious as to why?

I was under the impression that all the extension pieces for VME cards came in 60mm increments. So saying a half Eurocard was 100mm X 100mm would make more sense (at least to me) but a 9mm discrepency seems odd.

In any case, I did not find any cases for either of these sizes. (lots of stuff slightly bigger and smaller but nothing that you would just be able to drop a board into.)

Thanks for helping settle my curiosity.

Kevin

Kevin C. Castner kccnospam at glenevin dot com

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." -- Adm. Hyman Rickover, USN

kccnospam

Well, their manufacturers are wrong then. It is not a half Eurocard.

Because they are right. That _is_ half a Eurocard.

True.

That would be a 5/8ths Eurocard, but it is more practically known as a square Eurocard. It is a legitimate Eurocard size, but not widely used.

It is a shame the PC104 standard did not chose this size, as gives a bit more room for I/O connectors and fits in Euroracks.

Just how many manufacturers use that size? If more than a few, there may be a good reason.

Well, Fischer (German, very good) and Hammond (Canadian, almost as good) make aluminium extrusions for 100 mm cards to slot into. Usually comes in

160/220 mm lengths but if you want more than a few I'm sure they will sell you it in any length you want. If you just one a few then any light machine shop with a mechanical saw could cut it down to the size you want.

Don't forget that the PCB may be 80, 100, 120, 160, 220 mm but you may need to allow a few mm for connector overhang. I've seen Eurocard cases 5 mm bigger than Eurocard sizes to allow clearance front and back.

Reply to
Kryten