employment ad, please ignore

That's awesome. This may be the only exception to somebody using video conferencing other than to make up for the fact they're unable to communicate with a phone or email yet.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Yes, it is awesome. My partner and I communicate with Skype on a daily basis to discuss our project designs and to coordinate a number of business activities. About once every two weeks we meet with our client(s) to hammer out details. It has worked very well in our case.

Reply to
John S

Concept reviews work pretty well over GoToMeeting or Webex. It's pretty useful to be able to point at stuff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It was interesting to see Edward Snowden "at" the Vancouver TED Conference. Telepresence is coming along.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Uh-huh, and then you run out hanging advert flyers on doorknobs...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It's often the only way to go. I am on GoToMeeting at least twice a week, sometimes almost ever day.

We've done more than just coaching through a new instrument. For example, doing a hairy switcher layout together with a guy 1500 miles away. It would have taken me all day long flying out there and by the time I'd have passed the TSA checkpoint we were ... done. Passing the desktop control back and forth is a wonderful thing.

Only thing is, now I have to dress up even for some virtual meetings because the people can see you. So in summer I always have a "shirt-on-duty" hanging in the cabinet where the coax cables and stuff are.

I just wish their Codecs weren't so much of a power-hog. The GoTo one seems very bloated, it croaks on

Reply to
Joerg

Au contraire, for me. Our start-up company would not work at all without "telecommunting". We are all between 100mi and 3000mi apart. 99% plus of our teamwork happens online.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well, not me and my partner personally. We have sales and marking people who do that. Is that what you do? We could use someone who knows how.

Reply to
John S

I am 15 minutes walking from John, perhaps i can do part time after tax season. But last year, i made more money in stock than working. I have to watch lots of TV to follow the market, but life is tough.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Can you imagine an old hate-filled sour-puss like Bloggs in a Marketing job? If people threaten LDS missionaries, can you imagine what they'd do to Bloggs?

Reply to
krw

You have a large team in your start-up company? Neat!

Reply to
krw

I know a lot of people who did the same in the late '90s. A few lost their life's savings (one power company lineman, >megabuck) by '01.

Reply to
krw

On most online calls a number of external engineers get involved. Yes, then it's a large team.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

100 engineers? 200?
Reply to
krw

I don't want to drum up more gutter cleaning and trash disposal business than you can handle...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Yes, it doesn't happen every year. But 2013 was good for me with 2 stocks.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I doubt that you could, considering your personality, but even so, we have connections to other companies that could handle the increased business should you get lucky. It sounds as if you are interested in joining our team. You, like the other minions we employ, will need to pass a background check, of course.

Reply to
John S

Well, the offer is to join our flyer handout team (sales and marketing). He sounds interested.

Reply to
John S

All we know for sure, to judge from the content of your posts to SED, is, whatever you're doing, it's simple minded and pedestrian.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Having 100 engineers together in one technical meeting where all can contribute would be very foolish. I would not want to work in a company that regularly does that.