Electric Chair

After watching the hanging of Saddam, I got to thinking... Why doesn't the United States do hangings instead of electric chairs for executions. With all stories I hear of faulty electricutions, you'd think the US would start hanging again like they did in the old west. Damn Edison!!!

from wiki; The first practical electric chair was invented by Harold P. Brown. Brown was an employee of Thomas Edison, hired for the purpose of researching electrocution and for the development of the electric chair. Since Brown worked for Edison, and Edison promoted Brown's work, the development of the electric chair is often erroneously credited to Edison himself. Brown's design was based on George Westinghouse's alternating current (AC), which was then just emerging as the rival to Edison's less transport-efficient direct current (DC), which was further along in commercial development. The decision to use AC was entirely driven by Edison's attempt to claim that AC was more lethal than DC.

Reply to
maxfoo

You watched it? Where?

Reply to
mrdarrett

Check it out!

maxfoo

On 30 Dec 2006 11:29:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@punkass.com Gave us:

The electric chair has been out for many decades.

Reply to
JoeBloe

"A number of states still allow the condemned person to choose between electrocution and lethal injection. In all, seven inmates nationwide, 4 in Virginia, 2 in South Carolina and 1 in Arkansas have opted for electrocution over lethal injection. The last use of the chair (as of

2006) was on July 20, 2006, when Brandon Hedrick was electrocuted in Virginia. He elected this method. Before that, it had not been used since May 2004, when James Neil Tucker was electrocuted in South Carolina. He refused to elect his execution method."

maxfoo

Hangings can go terribly wrong, too. Moreover, in many cultures (including ours a century or two ago) hanging is/was considered to be a shameful death.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

You can screw up a hanging in many unpleasant ways. And a 300 lb man is hard to hang.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Since the DP is all about revenge anyway, why not chain the convicted to a wall and provide the victim's family with spears or swords?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

hard

Yes. From the marks on his head it looks like they botched it.

john jardine

I think that's kinda the point.

Say, if they hung Saddam for 128 deaths, how many American deaths is Dubya going to have to cause before he gets called to account?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

--
Stop being disingenuous.  The 128 deaths were symbolic and
represented the deaths of thousands of murders that he was directly

Kinda like if Bush wanted to test nerve gas and wiped out Cleveland
just to see what would happen and he was tried for the murder of 128
people who died there.

That\'s not at all the same thing as sending soldiers to war.
VOLUNTEERS, by the way...
Reply to
John Fields

Neither the Ready Reserve nor the National Guard is an expeditionary force. ISTM that Dubya once took advantage of that.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

[...]

.

------------ Bummer..thought somebody needed their electric chair fixed.... :(

I do have some curious questions. No reply required..Some of the questions are wacky..

  • Are conductive gels used?
  • Does body impedance vary once the skin starts burning?
  • What electrode metals are used for easy cleaning?
  • Is there a UPS?
  • What's the optimun zapping frequency..(I saw this somewhere..Can't remember...coincidentally 60Hz??)
  • Is there power regulation? (More like cooking regulation)
  • Is there EMI concerns?
  • Is there power factor correction?
  • Is there zero crossing switching?
  • Is there a big old fashion throw switch or is the power controlled by a computer on the internet and somebody just uses Execute! XP version 3.5 from 1000 miles away?
D from BC

The Reserve is just that and can be called up for any reason. The National Guard is once it's been nationalized. This isn't by any means a first.

--
  Keith
Reply to

The death penalty is not revenge - it's simply doctor assisted suicide. The law has been clear for decades; everybody knows the law and nobody can plead ignorance to the law. So how can people call the death penalty revenge when murderers, well aware of the law, choose to commit murders?

It is a shame and a distortion of the intent of the death penalty when victim's families get any say so about the punishment phase of a murder trial because this does put a human face on what should be an emotionless system that simply dispenses with killers as per the stated rules.

Dorian

Reply to
Dorian

Really? And yet all too many serial killers don't get the DP while some schmuck whose gun goes off while robbing a store does.

True, but it satisfies the need for revenge.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 02:38:17 GMT, "Homer J Simpson" Gave us:

Which has absofuckinglutely nothing to do with revenge.

You're a complete dope.

Reply to
JoeBloe

Only when he's with his other half, Eeyore. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Dummy on a donkey?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Speaking of donkeys, what does Bush's butt smell like?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson