EIA/RETMA codes

Where does one look up the manufacturer, given the EIA or RETMA code for them? I've got a part I'm trying to look up for EIA #491. But I've no idea who that is. Google isn't helping me much.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

"Jon Kirwan"

** Why are you hinding what the part is??

A good description and / or a pic may well allow someone to say straight off who made it.

Then you will know what #491 indicates.

** Try thinking a bit more laterally.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It's a transformer. I didn't know that it was important to state. Sorry.

It looks about like your basic radio shack 12.6V @ 1A transformer, except that it has two pairs of heavy gauge on one side and what appears to be center-tapped, much thinner wire on the other side.

The only writing on it is:

46986P1 EIA#491 SEC-8941

No other markings.

I assumed the EIA#491 is the manufacturer and I'd hoped there was a place to go to find it. I noted that, for example, Sylvania is (or was, or some part of it was) #312. So #491 seemed findable. No luck from my end.

I can only try.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

"Jon Kirwan" "Phil Allison"

** It kinda narrows down the range of possible makers - dramatically.

** Chances are very high the maker is now long out of business as nearly all consumer equipment transformer makers were wiped of the face of the earth by Asian suppliers decades ago.

If you wanna know its specs - you will have to do a series of bench tests on it.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This was out of an old slide show projector device that I took apart for its lenses and first surface mirrors.

I've started that. I've identified what must be the 120VAC pair -- 5 ohms (using Tektronix DC meter), heavy wire, one black and one white. Color seems confirming. The other pair of heavy wire, blue and yellow, appears galvanically connected; but only about 1/4 ohm on that pair and about a 1/4 ohm away from either of the black/white 5-ohm pair. The CT set of three wires aren't galvanically connected to the heavy wire side. (As I'd expect.)

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

"Jon Kirwan" what the part is??

** A 5 ohm primary winding is consistent with a 120 VA transformer - not 12 VA.

** You are completely clueless.

Go try "sci.electronics.repair ".

Leave us alone.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Did I say 12? Look back. I think a pair of glasses may help.

Well, there is that.

No, thanks.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

"Jon Kirwan" >

** See what you wrote at the top here ????????

** Well, f*ck you - bloody imbecile.

** FUCK OFF - you DAMN TROLL

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes, I said it __looked__ like such a transformer. By that, all I meant is that it was shaped like one, Phil. About the same dimensions, weight, etc. You asked for a picture. I tried honestly to provide that in words. Sorry about your misunderstanding me.

Blame me for not using words you can follow. Oh, well.

Sorry. I'm hear to stay, until I'm not.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

_here_

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

...like using an oscillator set to 5V, 60Hz and applying it to the hiZ (thin wire) side (which is very likely center-tapped); measure the lo Z side to see what the turns ratio is.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I've a variac, as well. Might try that. Either way, I'll figure it out. Mostly, I was curious about the manufacturer code, though. I had hoped there was a nice little table to find. Not so far.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

The problems are yours if you are unable to utilize the proper nomenclature, dumbass.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

On May 16, 9:00=A0pm, Jon Kirwan wrote: [....]

You can measure its turns ratio.

If you know that you may be able to get an better estimate of what the heck it is.

Reply to
MooseFET

Does it have flying leads? If so, You know there is a standard EIA color code for these things?

What colors do you have, or are you suffering witth solder terminals?

I MAY be able to look them up, given the colors.

Steve

Reply to
osr

H.W. Sams used to publish the list every couple years as an extra to one of their Photofact sets. A lot of people on news:rec.antiques.radio+phono have large collections of Sams Photofacts and should have the lists. I didn't find 491 on the 1957 or 1958 lists so it is older than that.

I found them at:

Does anyone have information on EIA code 491 for Jon?

Michael A. Terrell

See the power transformer color codes at, eg, , which are the same as shown in a couple of old books I glanced at (Allied and ARRL handbooks). If the winding with blue and yellow is a rectifier-filament winding, it might be rated at 5V, 3A as for a 5U4 filament.

--
jiw
Reply to

Thanks. This device does have a small lamp in it. It's rated for

19V, which may also give me a clue for the blue/yellow. There are no tube filaments. Just the lamp. But your suggestion may very well relate to this light bulb. Thanks.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Yes, I'll do that when I go into the attic and dig out the variac so I don't have to take much risk.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

I didn't know. And it does. They are a kind of light orange for the two on the outside and red for the middle one. With a magnifying glass, I was also able to see markings on the wires. But after looking over them all, most of what is there is impossible for me to read. On the red wire I do see "STYLE 1589" (or it may be 1569) and "300V" and "105C OR AWM". The light orange (there seems to be a hint of pink to me) has "90C" on it, and "TR-?Y" where I can't read the ? character and the Y might possibly be an N. There seems to also be a "LL174??" where I can't read the ?? characters.

Those above are on the side that doesn't accept the 120VAC and are much thinner wires.

That surprises me a bit. With custom designs abounding, it seems that all manner of shades would be needed and one may require a "color checker's" eye to figure out and match colors up.

Thanks for any thoughts here, Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan