effect of xray on fpga electronic circuits

Dear All, As an assignment I have to design a CCD Sensor based FPGA digital Camera. However, the Camera will be exposed to XRAY (It will be placed behind an Imaging Intensifier). Does anybody know how XRAY affects the electronic circuits (The CCD Sensor and the FPGA ). What type of noise should I expect and what should I do to prevent it. Thanks in advance

Reply to
recoder

Can bits be flipped?

Do you need a RadHard FPGA?

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

A little bit of lead foil goes a long way. Depends on how much XRAY I imagine. Be careful.

Reply to
EdV

Ever consider using a phosphor plate to turn the x-rays into visible light first?

Reply to
John_H

Is it internal flash or external flash? If anything, flash would be the weakest link.

Reply to
linnix

I would think an old fashioned tube camera with tube amplifiers would be the most radiation resistant.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Hi,

There are rad-hard CCDs available. There are also rad-hard FPGA's available. Actel uses anti-fuse technology, which is inherently rad- hard. We (fellow engineers and I at my aerospace company) use Actel and Quicklogic FPGAs for space-based applications.

Tom P. =2E

Reply to
tlbs101

To all it matters to what level of radiation from your source gets to your CCD camera. As a X Product Manager for a X-ray imaging company if we placed the CCD camera behind a intensifier tube -- lots of material between it and the camera a few lens -- we had little problem with noise from the x-ray beam we we producing. We could still detect some x-rays at this point but they were real weak. Now when we put the CCD (Sony) B/W camera in the direct beam path we had issues of noise in the CCD detector. We landed up placing the camera off axis. When we went to a special CCD camera behind a screen and a little glass it was not a bad but could still be seen and needed averaging to get rid of the problems we could see. Hope this helps-- Place the camera off axis if at all possible remember a lot of thing are transperant to x- ray but will reflect light.

Regards Cliff

Reply to
Cliff Schuring