Dumpy filter

Yeah I've heard of that happening and it sucks, I've made a few anonymous edits in the past and they seemed to have been accepted OK so I guess it's a hit-or-miss situation depending on the personality of whomever is "guarding" the page or if anyone cares that much or not.

At least when it comes to "self-policing" online communities what usually happens is that they attract pathological types whose primary desire is to be a big-shot who backs up and is backed up by other big shots and eventually they run the actual expects (who tend to be more equitable) out on a rail with their drama-producing behavior - actual experts have better things to do with their time.

That said Wikipedia I think it's remarkable how valuable a resource Wikipedia can be given that its "model" was very optimistic and doesn't really make much sense now.

Reply to
bitrex

ade

So

dbook_

M380

uty to

  1. > >>> By my math that's almost a decade earlier than the LM386 release date

hat.

tor reversed them all right away, insisting that because he had found some barmy book claiming that nearly all electronic profucts were based on valve s in the 1980s, they must be and he 'corrected' that point and similar othe rs, for some deluded value of corrected. Wiki really needs to grow a pair a nd ban idiots like that. It needs some resident subject experts who can ban the very out there & destructive individuals, but not overreach so as to i nterfere with the legitimate editing process.

Some good points. Wiki has done remarkably well, with as you say a rather o ptimistic model. It's a useful first place to look for many things, but onl y that. Now it's the time for Wiki to decide whether it wants to up its gam e or carry on with deluded idiots sitting on some pages here & there. I thi nk it'll continue doing the latter.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Probably the latter, but I think the reason is just for Pareto-principle time and budget constraints. You can stamp out 80% of the poseurs and trolls and pranksters without too much effort, but the last 20% proves intransigent and starts exponentially sucking energy when you try to take them on. Maybe best to wall them into their little kingdoms like the Cask of Amontillado and hope they get bored/institutionalized. "Better is the enemy of good enough" and all that

Reply to
bitrex

that.

ditor reversed them all right away, insisting that because he had found som e barmy book claiming that nearly all electronic profucts were based on val ves in the 1980s, they must be and he 'corrected' that point and similar ot hers, for some deluded value of corrected. Wiki really needs to grow a pair and ban idiots like that. It needs some resident subject experts who can b an the very out there & destructive individuals, but not overreach so as to interfere with the legitimate editing process.

er optimistic model. It's a useful first place to look for many things, but only that. Now it's the time for Wiki to decide whether it wants to up its game or carry on with deluded idiots sitting on some pages here & there. I think it'll continue doing the latter.

There are already many articles where editing is restricted. Adding a few t opic experts purely to keep out the most extreme loons would be quite doabl e - that could leave them access to all the unimportant stuff, ie fiction, tv programs & similar stuff.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

By far the better way is to accept edits from the extreme loons, but only ever show those edits to their authors. That way they feel satisfied that their weird opinions are being noticed, but nobody else does.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Ya, that's called "shadow banning" or "ghost banning." Historically a popular tool on Reddit and with censors in the People's Republic of China

Reply to
bitrex

,Facebook, and other Communist controlled communication channels. Don't need no steenkin' free speech. Snowflakes can't handle it.

Reply to
krw

They aren't a Communist-controlled communication channel, they're a corporate-controlled communication channel. Nobody's forcing anyone at gunpoint to be there. You don't like it, leave.

Reply to
bitrex

Communist, Nazi, same difference.

Reply to