Drive 2 amps diff rails w/ 1 signal

For experimental purposes I am running two op amps on two different sets of DC power rails.

One is +18V and +9V. The other is - 9V and -18V. The net voltage potential between both supplies is 9V.

I want to drive both amps with the same sinusoidal signal (10Hz) so that the output signals are indentical, apart from the _DC offset_.

Can someone please advise me, what type of circuitry do I need to derive the correct two DC offsets from the one signal so as to match those of the two amps?

Many thanks for any advice.

Kevin Marsh

Reply to
Kevin Marsh

You don't say if there is any DC offset on the 10 Hz source, so I'll just have to assume not.

Something like this might do it. View in a fixed-pitch font:

___ ___ A.sin(wt) ---|___|---o--------o-|___|--- Vo R1 | | R3 | +18V | ___ | |\| | +18V ---|___|---o--|-\ | R2 | >--' +13.5V --------------|+/ |/| +9V

R3/R1 sets gain (note: this is an inverting amplifier) R1/R2 sets the level shift

e.g. R3=R1 and R1/R2 = 13.5 / (18-13.5) for Vo = 13.5 - A.sin(wt)

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Oops. That should be:

___ ___ A.sin(wt) ---|___|---o----|___|--o-- Vo R1 | R3 | | | | +18V | ___ | |\| | +18V ---|___|---o--|-\ | R2 | >-----' +13.5V --------------|+/ |/| +9V

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Is there a problem with ac-coupling the 10Hz to the two op amp inputs in parallel?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Since your plan doesn't include a ground for either op amp, it's a little tricky. Easiest would be to feed your 10 Hz source to a series resistor, and two transformer primaries in series. Then each transformer secondary would drive one of your amplifiers. Better than an instrument amp, though, would be a pseudo-ground input to an inverting amplifier (just an op amp with feedback resistor), with the (+) input of that op amp held at your intended DC level.

It's also possible to capacitor-couple, of course, BUT the full power-supply noise gets added on if you do that. Then it gets amplified.

Reply to
whit3rd

See the datasheet and app notes for the INA117. Art

Reply to
Artemus

What type of stock transformer would you suggest that will handle

10Hz? I believe these need to be specially wound, and at significant cost.

I plan to use batteries, so this would not be such a problem.

Thank you for your reply.

Kevin Marsh

Reply to
Kevin Marsh

Isn't 10Hz a pretty low frequency for a cap? What value were you thinking of?

Kevin Marsh

Reply to
Kevin Marsh

Well, Kevin, since you have not provided input resistance to the circuit, I guess almost any value of capacitance will work. Depending on the input resistance, of course. The lower the input resistance, the higher the capacitance required. Yes?

John

Reply to
John S

Not at all since the op amps and network resistors are such high impedance- even a low 10K input impedance and 1Hz cut-in gets C=3D1/ (6.28*1Hz*10K)=3D16uF which is not so big.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

In the frame of reference for the upper rail OA, the input looks like sin(wt)-9V, and the similarly for the lower rail OA the input looks like sin(wt) + 18V. So the transfer function of the upper rail OA should be OUT=3D IN + 3/2 x V+, and similarly for the lower rail OA the transsfer should be OUT=3D IN -3/2 x V+. The resulting summer amps look like so:

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

. . . . . . 18V . | . .------+ . | | . [10K] | . | |\| . .----[15K]-+----|+\ . | | >--+-->OUTU . | .----|-/ | . | | |/| | . | | 9V | . | +--[15K]---' . | | . | [10K] . IN>---+ | . | | . | 9V . | . | . | . | -9V . | | . | .----+ . | | | . | [10K] | . | | |\| . '-[15K]-+-------|+\ . | | | >--+-->OUTL . [10K] +--|-/ | . | | |/| | . | | -18V | . -18V | | . '--15K]--' . . .

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

simply couple your 10Hz to each opamp via a capacitor (1 for each opamp). If you tell us what the input impdeance is, its then possible to calcualte what cap size is requierd.

I wouldnt consider using a transformer, except in truly exceptional situations.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Well- if you work up an example circuit, the direct coupling is more cost-effective and has greater accuracy than the capacitor coupling.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Thanks for taking time to draw the complete circuit. It has helped to clarify the design for me.

Given the application stated in my OP, is there any particular op amp you would recommend? I am looking to sink around 50 ma into a resistive load.

To derive the rails, I intend to use three 9V cells.

Two are connected in series, with their negative connected (through the amp) to the negative of the third. This provides 118V less -9V or a 9V potential.

Similarly, the positive of the two is connected (through the amp) to the positive of the third for the +9 and +18.

Does anyone see any problem with running the two amps off one set of three cells as described above?

Kevin Marsh

Reply to
Kevin Marsh

Don't see how you get those voltages with just 3x 9-Volt batteries.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

With regard to the battery connection to the op amps, is this what you mean?

+---------+ | | | + | [9V] _|\| | - | \ + _| / | + |/| IC1 [9V] | | - | +---------+ | | | + _|\| [9V] | \ | - _| / | |/| IC2 | | +---------+

If not, can you draw a schematic of what you are talking about?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Yes, and the mid point would be the virtual ground.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Kevin Marsh

Reply to
Kevin Marsh

Maybe...but this is what you described:

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

. . . . . . . . (+18V) . +---------+ . | | . | + | . [9V] _|\| . | - | \ . | _| / . | |/| IC1 . | | . | | . +---------+ . | + (+9V) . [9V] . | - . --------+ . | | + . | [9V] . --- | - (-9V) . /// +---------+ . | | . | + _|\| . [9V] | \ . | - _| / . | |/| IC2 . | | . ----------+ . . (-18V) . .

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

The suggestion was to use a low-impedance load on the secondary of the transformer (the pseudo-ground pin of an inverting amplifier), which makes the L/R time constant long enough for low frequencies. This is a kind of current transformer application, and the low frequency limit isn't problematic there. As for 'specially wound', it won't hurt you to count off fifty turns of the spool as you drive it with your (slow, battery powered) drill. Stock transformers are only available when and as high-volume production is done for someone else's needs; stock is ALWAYS an undependable source.

Reply to
whit3rd

It all depends on volume. I presumed 'for experimental purposes' meant the OP was only building one, in which case whatever is quickest and easiset is probably best, ie capacitors. If the OP wants to build

100,00 then I'd do it as you say.

NT

Reply to
Tabby