Do you bother with reading from the LCD (HD44780)?

I start a loop on timer interrupt and check all status flags, then move on if nothing interesting is happening. Usually the interrupt loop just takes care of the hardware and posts another software flag to the main loop. The idea is to spend as little time in the interrupt as possible, or less. ;-)

--
Keith
Reply to

No, I just use the 4-bit (6-wire) interface with blind timing during display init. There's no reason to ever have to read the display.

Save the extra line and the extra code. Keep it simple.

Tom

Reply to
Tom2000

I guess no one else interpreted this question the way I did...

Is is not possible to "store" data in the character ram for special characters and then read this back into the uPC? I've never had the need to do this, but if you're short on RAM (which I know hardly ever happens on modern microcontrollers..), couldn't you use the unused character RAM on the LCD for general purpose storage, or are these LCD locations write-only?

Just wondering...

-mpm

Reply to
mpm