Do we have to lease out 24GHz?

amdx wrote in news:qchnqq$i1p$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That is a FL building code thing. Other states do not require such postings and their construction project registration and such is all worked out so that each site does not need it individually. Seems like a waste to be in an information age, and yet still continue using so many paper based mechanisms.

An "inspector" with a high accuracy GPS logger could easily verify any as built without any postings. Such a waste our gov boys still spit out, because they are so reluctant and lazy to draft proper new procedurals.

And we pay them enough to live in mansions and drive expensive cars.

We truly live in the Twilight Zone.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 May 2019 02:45:22 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Rick C wrote in :

A smart grid, would know how much your charger may draw at any time.

Exactly, so Tesla is already doing that.

Sure, here just recently an other 'environment' tax was added on the 'trickety price, adds about 25 %!! Once enough people drive electric, they (politics) will target those.. They did that when I was driving a LPG car.

And the other thing is that any failure in the grid will bring everything to a stand still, including emergency services, Flooding, storms, and even a big solar storm or a war situation, would instantly kill the economy. Especially with 'smart' grids, US sponsored sabotage of the electric system in Venezuela an example of that. ONE motivated hacker could destroy a whole country.

So you still need alternative fuel systems for emergency systems, military etc etc. I am not against 'trickety motors, those are efficient. But batteries: No. Maybe hydrogen fuel cells with supercaps for acceleration is a solution.

All those batteries will over years wind up in landfills and form a much greater problem than the bit of smoke petrol cars create.

hehe

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That you believe the smart grid concept is my idea is revealing.

I'm afraid it is only easy to implement if you are an armchair quarterbacker. Ensuring it works is relatively easy; the difficulties come when ensuring graceful degradation when technical, corporate, political and human behaviour is taken into account.

The saga of the comparatively simple smart meters is sufficient proof of that :(

Meanwhile, your last paragraph indicates you speedread what I wrote with insufficient comprehension.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The city is over building permits, however, up until a few years ago the city had an office and building inspectors, now they have hired a private company to take care of it. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Alone, no, but the FCC does and it did.

It

It's the other way around. Now some in Congress are asking the FCC to explain why what they, which is to dismiss the objections and move forward with the leasing is right and justified.

Reply to
trader4

blem

at it

tter

d too

you

ve.

like

things

I didn't say anything about the "smart grid". As I said, you brought that into the conversation and it seems to reek pretty heavily, so I'm not touch ing it. Sounds like you brought it into the conversation so you could have a reeking strawman to attack. Attack away, it is only you who is getting covered in stink.

The problem of coordinating charging schedules is pretty simple. It likely doesn't even require a wide area connection. Nearly everyone has Internet . The charging interfaces or the cars themselves (such as Teslas) can comm unicate with a local "dispatcher" with a charging request. That request ca n be put into a queue and scheduled. The scheduling can take into account the limitations of the local distribution grid as well as the present and a nticipated near future electrical supply. Essentially it can schedule each car's charging to get the charge needed with the minimum impact on generat ion and the grid. Wide ranging coordination is not likely to be needed sin ce leveling the demand of the many small areas will do a lot to level the d emand of the larger areas.

Do you really see this as an intractable problem?

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

A smart grid doesn't exist and so can be anything you want it to be, so no point in discussing it.

They are providing some control over their Superchargers. But they are not the primary means of charging Teslas and are not really a factor in the power grid issues.

Some states already do by charging an electric vehicle fee because EVs don't use gas or diesel which is taxed to help build roads... not that the money is actually earmarked for any use in particular.

You have a very active imagination. You also often very poor at knowing what to do with information. If the power grid goes down for a long time, charging your car won't be your only problem or even your biggest problem.

I especially like your use of the term, "any failure in the grid". That is pretty all inclusive.

One power failure that impacted New York resulted in a surge in the birth rate nine months later. That sounds like a real disaster.

If we have a major solar storm my understanding is we will be royally f**ded for months. Again, I'm not so worried about the damn car if I can't get food.

My car will have enough charge to get me out of any relatively localized disaster such as a hurricane or earthquake. After that I don't care so much.

Sure, I expect we will have plentiful supplies of hydrogen just sitting around waiting for disasters.

When you try to knock something, you can really reach for the absurd.

Yes, we should base our entire economy on worrying about a highly unlikely event.

Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. Why do you keep speculating without actually knowing anything about the matter?

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

And yet what you outline below matches /some/ visions of the "smart grid".

It appears you aren't as au fait with some of the current grid behaviour and future grid proposals as you would like to believe you are. I, OTOH, have long made passing observations of the topic.

I was introduced to grid technology when I was ~4, when my father showed me the fireboxes of a small power station.

I've been reading industry rags on such topics since I was ~11, as a result of my father working at the Central Electricity Research Labs.

You've fallen into the trap I mentioned: you've outlined how something might /work/. Now do a /failure mode/ analysis.

I appreciate failure mode analysis is boring and unpopular, to the extent that softies barely comprehend the concept. Nonetheless it is a discipline that distinguishes engineers from amateur hackers.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

So why have you outlined your concept, one that is remarkably similar to /a/ concept of a smart grid?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 May 2019 09:04:07 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Rick C wrote in :

Clearly more than you Do not know what your agenda is, other than giving silly links to Tesla that pay for your chewing gum... I think you are either a bit narrow minded, or it is just a business interest maybe you have shares in that company. That is not science you do, it is advertizing.

You need a bit broader picture, do basic math. Not only on this subject.

As to those cars, last week police noticed a Tesla driver here sleeping driving on auto-pilot (for what that is worth) on a highway. They chased him, used sirens to wake him up. So if you hear sirens

Jan Panteltje

Nashville Cats -

Nashville cats, play clean as country water Nashville cats, play wild as mountain dew Nashville cats, been playin' since they's babies Nashville cats, get work before they're two

I'm not building the system. I don't need to do a failure analysis. I outlined it very basically to show how simple it is. I don't for a minute believe there are any unsolvable problems with it. Do you?

What do you see as the solution/problem?

I really don't get your point. You seem to be complaining that the "smart grid" is hard to do, but you are just talking in vague generalities.

When I was charging at home, my car was already on the Internet. No problems so far.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

k C

PM when

electrical

be shorter

rrent.

t say what

t by the

that

, which

when

.
.

no point in discussing it.

billing

ntrols

o layer

not the primary means of charging Teslas and are not

stribution

es

on network

sily

d, winter

to justify

cal

coordinated.

trickety price,

on't use gas or diesel which is taxed to help build

lar.

ing to a stand still,

instantly kill the economy.

what to do with information. If the power grid goes

en your biggest problem.

is pretty all inclusive.

h rate nine months later. That sounds like a real

*ded for months. Again, I'm not so worried about the

disaster such as a hurricane or earthquake. After that

ystem in Venezuela an example of that.

tary etc etc.

n.

around waiting for disasters.

ly event.

ch greater problem than the bit of smoke petrol cars

culating without actually knowing anything about the

hat pay for your chewing gum...

rest maybe you have shares in that company.

Ok, you can't argue anything about this technically, so you revert to ad ho minem attacks?

No agenda other than wanting to correct your nonsense postings about EVs.

I've done the math and the generation capacity is more than adequate to pow er EVs for the foreseeable future. The only part I don't have data for is local residential distribution where I can see a possible problem requiring some build out once EVs become widely popular.

This is the subject you started discussing. Do you wish to change the topi c to something you actually know about?

riving on auto-pilot (for what that is worth)

They don't really need to wake him. It is very easy to pull over a Tesla. Get in front and slow down to a stop. The Tesla autopilot will stop behin d you as if you were at a light. Then you can knock on the window to wake him. Neat, huh?

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 May 2019 10:50:39 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Rick C wrote in :

Bit arrogant you are

Totally dangerous system, it takes the attention of the driver away from the traffic and if the police had not stopped him serious accidents could have happened. possible with an other tes-la-la going up in flames. he is selling 'auto pilot' and that is just marketing talk,

He took that back a bit every time an accident happened, it is still a system that gives you false security. The software is not anywhere near 'safe'. Neither are the batteries. Neither is the construction good, bad welding jobs. Recommending the thing to anybody is a crime. :-)

I am going to leave it at this.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There is of course a lot hype around "smart grid", but there are many steps to be done, before it becomes a reality.

So far, much of the substation system have used hard wired protection relays and other equipment.

More and more of these devices are slowly being upgraded to IEDs (Intelligent Electronic Devices), which can be programmed and controlled from a higher level system in the 100 ms time frame.

Many of these devices can directly communicate with peer devices at submillisecond level over Ethernet. For instance, a current transformer might broadcast into the Ethernet segment "To whom it may concern, the current is now 1234 A". An over current circuit breaker might receive the broadcast and if the trip current is set to 1000 A, it will disconnect the line.

This makes it possible all versatile control forms, especially if the Ethernet segment is extended to nearby substation through EHV OPGW (Optical Ground Wire).

The problem is how to make such systems fail-safe, which will take some time.

Reply to
upsidedown

You are advocating a system, and making claims for it. Your attitude is characteristic of amateur engineers and armchair quarterbacks.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" HL Mencken.

So are you, unless you address failure modes.

Oh, please...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

opic

Lol, I like that. I respond to an ad hominem attack and you call *me* arro gant.

g driving

a.

ind

him.

the traffic

ed.

Lol! Yes, I have to admit you are right in that falling asleep means you a re not focused on the driving. You write about this as if no one ever fell asleep at the wheel. How about the fact that instead of running off the r oad and killing himself or others he simply got pulled over? That sounds l ike a big plus to me.

I expect you will blame the autopilot for the guy falling asleep though... totally without evidence. That seems to be the way you think. You knee je rk and then rationalize your position. I guess you are a Musk hater like J L.

By the same token you talk about Teslas burning as if there aren't 150,000 gasoline files in autos every year. So far the rate of Teslas burning is s till lower per mile driven than gasoline cars. It's not a big difference, but trying to say Teslas aren't safe because of fires just ignores the fact s... which seems to be your standard operating procedure.

You mean you are going to drop your lie bombs and walk away. Ok, bye!

--

  Rick C.

  --+ Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

at

at

Hmmm... that may be a problem, but it totally unrelated to charging EVs dur ing the slack times because it is not needed to do this job. We already ha ve networks the span the globe. While the utility company may want a syste m that is as close as possible to 100% reliable, coordinating car charging can be done with networking that is much less complex and nearly as secure.