Discreet-component CO detector

How many designs today use discreet components rather than LSI and/or SMD?

I just had a 6-years old domestic carbon monoxide detector reach its expiry date, so thought I'd have a look inside. It was made entirely of discreet components - no LSI, and not a single SMD. Photo here:

One other odd thing was that the device used red, yellow, and green leds for display (removed before I took the photo - they were at the top of the board), and weren't soldered in. They had been pushed into soldered-in sockets. These devices are produced in their millions, so I would have thought it worthwhile saving a few fractions of a cent or penny here and there by using the cheapest component count and construction method available.

I couldn't find an online circuit for a CO detector using a PIC16F676 and Sixth Sense ECO-Sure (2e) CO sensor. The nearest was a Zilog Z8 also using a smoke detector: leading to:

One other thing. It was powered by three Duracell alkaline AA cells. Duracell really are crap; two of the batteries were leaking - see connector at top of photo.

--

Jeff
Reply to

Doesn't a PIC MCU count as LSI?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Guess so. I was thinking of a chip hidden under a spot of epoxy on the circuit board. Does that have a specific name?

--

Jeff
Reply to

Glob-top or Chip-on-Board?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Jeff Layman wrote

I dunno, I designed and build a POE CO sensor,

This MQ-7 sensor chip seems as sensitve to alcohol, if not more, than to CO. It is also sensitive to temperature.

I have an aother battry operated CO sensor from a local store that was tested as 'best', and that one does not give alcohol and temperature alarms.

Anyways, it is on 24 7 and the PC logs the level (of whatever it is it detects).

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD