dip soldering, prevent oxidation ?

d dip

asier

flash point and smoke point is not the same

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That chart doesn't list Avacado oil and seems to not be listing

*refined* safflower oil.
--

Rick
Reply to

Burned up cooking oil all over the PCB and solder pot sounds like the last thing anybody would want.

Burned oil is hard to remove from anything.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Why would you burn it?

--

Rick
Reply to

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 12:03:13 -0500, Jon Elson Gave us:

Both are the proper steps. The tilted raise is essential. There were even solder machines with board holding fixtures which did exactly that.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 12:09:25 -0500, Jon Elson Gave us:

snip

Smaller version!

Hahahahahahaha!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 17:12:45 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader Gave us:

It works, but there is a lot of smoke generated. Better run a hood over it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I think that Cy is referring to oxidized oil sticking to everything. Since the stuff is basically enamel paint at that point, I think he's got a good reason to worry.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 13:36:27 -0500, Jon Elson Gave us:

NOTHING "reduces the oxides back to pure metal". They stop the oxides from forming by creating a barrier between the molten bath surface and the air, ya dope.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

1 liter in UK: "To maintain optimum production levels, the recommended interval before the oil needs to be changed is 8 to 12 hours." 5 gallons is beginning to look like a good start. Maybe you can get a small sample to try.

Also see "dross reducer": Note that most do not claim to eliminate dross, merely reduce it.

Here's a liquid that claims to eliminate dross:

Note that the formulations seem to be different for tin-lead, lead free, water soluble flux, rosin flux, etc.

I've never tried any of these formulation. Please let me know if any of them work for you. Good luck.

Yeah, I know. You got it for peanuts.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yes, I found this a few weeks ago, but haven't found anybody that stocks it. Maybe have to get it from the manufacturer.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I don't think the idea is to leave the oil on the solder forever. It has to be replaced periodically just like cooking french fries.

--

Rick
Reply to

That's called responsible QC.

Reply to
pedro

The stuff I used was "Dross-X" from Multicore solders. Thick brown sludge slow-acting flux - worked quite well by both excluding oxygen at the surface and reducing dross back to solder. We also used it stand-alone to recover solder from dross. Don't know if it is still available but a 5liter poly-jar lasts a long time!

piglet

Reply to
piglet

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:48:59 +0100, piglet Gave us:

Wrong! Despite the advert on the package, oxidized solder (dross) does not reconstitute back into solder, and you would not want it in your alloy if it did.

SCRAPE and REMOVE. THAT is the proper way.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why else would one dump cooking oil into a solder pot, other than to polymerize it and form a sticky mess all over the place?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Any cooking oil (fatty acids) will polymerize and form a sticky mess over time. With heat you speed up the process greatly even if you don't burn it. Peanut oil does seem to take higher temps better than other oils, but it will still turn into gunk. Those giant pots for deep frying turkeys only look new once.

Gross fact- lots of frying oil used in restaurants has silicone oil added to it as an anti-foaming agent.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Is that why you pour cooking oil on a hot frying pan? To polymerize it and form a sticky mess?

--

Rick
Reply to

If you say so. Peanut oil is not so high on the list. I've already given suggestions for better oils with higher smoke points. "With time" is not well defined. Both the oil and the solder get replaced or replenished. There is no reason for a buildup of a "sticky mess". Check the specs on the oil in your car. It doesn't do as well as some cooking oils as far as temperature is concerned.

--

Rick
Reply to

You're right, motor oil isn't vegetable oil. I wonder why that's the case.

Folks can dump anything they want into their solder pots.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader