Diode usage

I have an automation system that I am trying to control a garage door opener with. There is a relay on the automation controller that I'm using to open and close the door. When I wire my controller's relay common to one wire and NO to the other inline with that keypad it works most of the time. Here is my problem, the garage door opener's keypad has its own little brain, it's not just a simple contact button. There is 12 volts sent to the keypad, and this sends my automation controller into a hissy fit, will a diode prevent that voltage from reaching my controller? If so what kind?

I apologize for my inexperience in this area and appreciate any assistance!

Jon

Reply to
live2wheel

Are you saying that it will sometimes trigger the door with only *one* wire attached from the relay? If so, that relay contact is not isolated with respect to the door opener. You really need a relay that has truly isolated contacts. Then, it should work, but you'll need to connect both leads to the relay.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I assume you need to press just one button? If so: A diode may work for you - I suspect not. While it could keep your controller happy, it may at teh same time prevent it from operating the opener. Instead, use a relay. That will work for you. Your controller operates the relay, and is totally isolated from the opener. The points on the relay are wired to the opener's button.

Of course, if the opener requires more than one key to be pressed, the above won't work - you'll need one relay for each key to be pressed, and the ability to operate them in the correct sequence.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

The automation controller has its own relay, but I assume it's an electronic version of a relay. What you are saying makes sense! I'll put a mechanical relay behind the automation controllers relay and that will prohibit any power from reaching the automation controller reguardless of what the automation controller has.

Thanks guys!!

Jon

Reply to
jon