Digital data over telephone line

You guys are amateurs. The obvious solution is pulsing the line, just as old dial phones (including the one I still use today) worked.

If the DC variants are too much for the poster, then he can use the dial pulses to modulate an oscillator and count those at the other end. I can't even recall why this was done, but I know for some radio work they used similar schemes, though touch-tone was already in operation at that point.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Dammit, you're right. How quickly we forget.

Are they ever going to phase it out?

Ha! My uncle refuses to pay the phony surcharge for DTMF service and now he's having one hell of a time finding phones with pulse/tone switches. He needs the tones for telephone banking :-)

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Once, I had just moved into a new apartment, and the phone didn't work. This was in the old days, when the phone and everything came from Ma Bell. Well, they tell you to call repair service, but I couldn't dial out, because the phone wouldn't dial. I got dial tone, but no touch-tones from my phone.

So I flashed the hookswitch. Ten pulses for "0". The operater answered. She transferred me to repair service, and they said, "Oh, Polarity!" and the guy was there on his next call and fixed it in a few seconds. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When i moved into a new home in Olympia WA, i had ordered two phone lines; was given two numbers, but.. The "primary" number was on the secondary line and the "secondary" number was on the primary line. Also....they had the polarity ass-backwards on one of them (forgot which one). I called to complain of the shoddy workmanship (Quest, well after the Bell breakup) and told them that i could have done better blindfolded, and would fix it myself and bill them $120 per hour with a one-half hour minimum (*their* rates then) if they did not get it fixed in 24 hours. That got them so flustered that they actually sent someone to the house to fix it (very simple re-wiring job).

Reply to
Robert Baer

no. phone lines don't pass digital data.

what sort of analog signal are you wanting to send?

waterlevel in a large dam is a whole lot less challenging than a TV image.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen