Determine switching frequency of photocoupler

It has to do with assuming that the current in the power supply path is approximately related to the average motor current, even though the power supply is being connected and disconnected from the motor at PWM frequency. So there is a lot of high frequency energy passing through the supply leads, unless there is sufficient bypass capacitor energy storage right at the H bridge to supply the pulses, and the supply leads only carry the average current to this local storage. If the bridge is not sufficiently bypassed, then you have to account for the inductive effects of the supply wiring, as well as the DC effects, taking the current pulse wave shape (frequency content) of the supply waveform.

Reply to
John Popelish

I see. I was in fact assuming that the current in the power supply path (lower side of the bridge i.e. ground) was in fact the average motor current.

There is a 2200uF cap across the power supply directly at the h bridge (from top of bridge i.e. V+ 24V, to lower of bridge i.e. ground, after the current send resistor). How can I specifically calculate if this enough/too much. I probably only need 6 or 7 hundred uF anyway, but how do I calculate this? I am having a huge brain dead moment here!!! Doesn't/wouldn't the motor inductance play a role here also?

Reply to
Andrew