DC/DC converter for tacho feedback

Hello

I am repairing an 30 years old machine, a Pfauter 320, where there was a DC servo drive without feedback (Heldt&Rossi), and the tachometer was used to setting the speed of other axises. Now, there is a Mentor 2 drive (from controltechnigues), which needs feedback. The problem is, that the old part uses the feedback unpolarised, meaning that there are 2 relays, so they always get 0-90V (the feedback is -90 to +90V). The problem is, that the Mentor 2 drive also connects one end of the tacho to 0V (ground), which is fine in one relay, but the other will try to swicth the signal - result both ends of the tacho is connetced to 0V, and we have a shortcurcuit (not to mention the problems it can cause). A retcifier is not a solution, as when the relays swicth in, it causes a change of 0,6volts. I have tought of that. Originally it was tought to get the feedback after the relays, as the Mentor 2 should be able to understand a non-polarised feedback, but now I now I know that it cannot.

The solution could be a DC/DC converter to isolete the 2 parts. Where can I get such a conveter, I need to transfer +/-92 volts to the same, but isolated. Do such things exists?

Main question: there are millions of things for automation, but this? A DC/DC isolated converter?

About Mentor 2 - if the tacho is swicthed, it goes MAD. So mad, that it cannot be stopped once gone wrong. Is there a way, to stop the drive in case of such fatal problems? I wonder why the drive does not react to that kind on problems. It is (was) possible due to the fact, that names and wirering and so forth is so much different 30 years later. I had to take a chance, then I found the drive going in sain, but when I took the "run" signals off it did not stop, I had to take the main power of (emergency stop also fails at this point by some reason, but that is probably another problem in the machine, unless the drive takes power from elsewhere causing other parts to fail)

WBR Sonnich Jensen

Reply to
jodleren

There are many "Analog Isolation" products out there that can handle the 100 Volts input.. For example:

As for the drive going out of control. Most drives have a fast stop option or a motor contactor that will disconnect motor from the drive. This you connect to your E-stop circuit..

There is a good reason why the motor goes out of control.

The PID loop is so far out, that it has created a time constant due to error for correction, that is very large when it lost it's feed back.

Removing the run signal most likely has a slow effect because the drive is program to ramp down to a stop. If the PID is far out in an error state, it'll take some time before that will correct. Also, reversing the polarity on the feed back will cause the same effect because its doing a negative correction.

You should check the docs on that drive, I have found in many cases the analog feed back input has a isolated common which will allow you to use a bridge rect..

Reply to
Jamie

You may find

Tachogenerator interface board useful for this.

It's for 4QD's own controllers but the principle is universal.

The circuit is available on the sister site

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
http://www.Torrens.org.uk for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!
Reply to
Richard Torrens (News)