Current Transformer Question

It might be to create a "non-progressive winding". If you wind a toroid in the obvious way, starting your winding at one point on the toroid, and addi ng turns until you get back there, you've got a single turn in the plane of the toroid, and any current you put through the toroid creates an external field.

The simplest way of cancelling this external field is to put a loop of wire around the toroid, back from finish to start, that cancels this single tur n. It doesn't provide perfect cancellation, but it's a lot better than noth ing.

does discuss this problem, and lists a couple of different non-progressive winding schemes that offer more perfect cancellation. At least one - the Ay rton-Perry scheme - dates aback to the 1890's. William Edward Ayrton died i n 1908 though his second wife was first woman member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, and could be the Ayrton involved, though she was pri marily interested in electric arcs.

was a colleague of both.

There's a scheme for measuring fluid conductivity which involves stacking t wo non-progressively wound toroidal coils, driving one and measuring the fl uid conductivity from the voltage induced in the second by the current flow ing the fluid which acts as a single turn winding threading both cores.

It's an obvious enough idea, when you think about it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Garbage.

Reply to
Robert Baer

A less than useful response. If you haven't got something useful to post - and you mostly don't - we'd appreciate it if you chose not to post your less-than-sophisticated opinion. One-word responses are rarely helpful.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

This actually makes sense. Very interesting.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

An exceedingly rare bit of wisdom from Sloman. Thanks, Bill! ...Jim Thompson

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson rarely recognises wisdom when he sees it. I don't claim to be wise all that often, but it's a rare - if pleasantly unexpected - surprise when Jim does recognise it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

OK, put all of the useless windings anywhere, as long as *I* get the $$$ for the wasted copper.

Reply to
Robert Baer

If you knew a bit more, you might be able to conceive what the "wasted" copper might be doing.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

In reality, you comment displays your ignorance and stupidity - no perhaps about it. You don't know how to pick your ground, do you.

When even Jim Thompson concedes that I might have had a plausible explanation for what the "wasted" wire might have been doing, your persistence is rather obviously ill-judged.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Your comment displays your ignorance and perhaps stupidity.

Reply to
Robert Baer