Current rating of an RJ45 connection

Our gateways have optical links, and 100% redundancy.

IF there were EVER a connection problem on ANY port(for the Enet discussion), it would switch it out, and alert the operators.

Hp series 8 blades for the C7000 chassis series are cool. The old blades had vertical locking bar and they moved these down onto the end. It is amazing how much they pack inside these blades. Dual Zeon, SAS, Optical interfaces, and Ethernet.

After the third party vendor comes in and wires up our racks (way cheaper than paying our own people to do it, oddly), we are pretty confident as they tag each line and run diagnostics on each Ethernet line. Then our in house QAs verify every element of the build on each rack.

Our RF guys test out the link side cables and get that set up. Then we take the whole thing apart and crate the racks and ship them to the gateway site. There, another person re-assembles them and the same wire crew (we fly them all over the world) re-runs all the wiring to the rack destinations. Every cable and every link of any kind gets tested here. At the site everything works again upon re-assembly. That wiring company makes more money from us than any other customer they ever had, and their workers get to see the world like an active duty sailor.

We calibrate our crimpers, and so do the cable wire crews. Hell, their gear is better than some of our gear as it relates to wires. Bad crimps are the bane of the industry.

However, a properly constructed system will behave the way I stated.

Bad crimps make certain folks draw improper conclusions, but they are, in fact, the reason most of the failures they observed occurred. It is hardly ever a connector contact face, or connector mating contact wire tangency face.

Back in my early days, I worked on upright video games. We had to charge the customer (video game operator) a minimum of a 1/2 hour for the service call. Most of them only took a few minutes. So to keep a customer from becoming irate that you only spent 3 minutes fixing something, but charged a half hour, you had to sit behind the machine and act as if you were fixing something.

Back then card edge fingers and connectors were far more prone to surface oxidation issues (remember re-seating hard drive connectors on MFM?). All we had to do to fix the game usually is power down (usually is already) and remove and re-seat all the main board's edge connectors. Job done, 95% of the time.

I used to have problem charging a customer for a TV repair for this reason, back when I did that. That was when I learned that they are paying for your expertise, not your time. Customers, however, still have problems accepting that reason, to this day.

Like I said, there are trillions of connections each day that operate just fine, even in extreme environs.

The failure rate is literally more than an order of magnitude less than it was 20 years ago.

Connector technology has taken big steps forward too. Smaller and smaller, yet quite integral. Gold is the reason.

Backplanes and such didn't get added to my numbers. There are 1000s of trillions of connections of high integrity working every day.

How many do you think were utilized in getting your post to the first server it hit? Tens of thousands likely.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Both leave you 'stranded'? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I agree a lot can go wrong when the wiring is installed. I've seen my share of badly crimped connectors, poorly installed wall-outlet and bad punch-down work. But after installation dirt and moisture are the biggest enemy.

I recently designed a board for which the customer and I decided to use a spring loaded terminal block instead of RJ45 because it is much more resistant against poor installation practices and moisture.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

My customers are a bit behind the times. Most are currently upgrading to gigabit ethernet (1000baseT). Very little fiber except between servers and switches. Here's a typical horror story. Almost everything in the boxes are defective due to wrong connectors, badly installed connectors, or miserable polishing.

I originally thought the fiber tester was defective because it was rejecting almost everything.

Back in the late 1990's, I did some midnight repairs at distant server farms. Nobody was dumb enough to drive 50-75 miles to reseat a connector except me. That was before multihoming and failover were common. I rarely found a defective connection. What I found was were RJ45 plugs without locking tabs that wiggled out of the jack. Same with common power cords that had little or no retention force. More than once, I found that the CAT5 jumper had simply disappeared. I have seen cases where unplugging the RJ45 and reinserting it solved a connection problem, but that was due to NWAY negotiation failure, not an intermittent connector.

The local university and one company has a policy about non-ratcheting crimpers. If they find anyone using one, the perpetrator gets ejected or thrown down a flight of stairs, whichever is more appropriate.

Agreed, to a point. I once made a big mistake and bought a bag of RJ45 plugs on eBay. Big mistake. Not only was the gold plating insufficient, the dimensional tolerances were well out of acceptable specifications. Thanks to the wonders of Chinese technology, we are now able to successfully produce a genuine intermittent connection at the connector face instead of just at the insulation displacement crimp. Some details and horror stories:

My rough count is that I have about 80 active ethernet ports at my home. My office probably has twice as many.

Traceroute shows 16 hops, each of which has no less than 8 connectors involved for a minimum of 128 connectors. (It's actually more like 50 connectors per hop). However, most of the higher speed connectors are now fiber, not RJ45.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Selective coatings like that can really make things hot. They're sometimes used on thermal solar collectors, or see Dumas' "The Man In The Iron Mask" for a historical example. (Mildy oxidized metal is black in the visible but shiny in the IR, so it gets pretty warm in bright sunlight.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No worries, just saw off a couple of cylinders on the Corolla. There'll be lots of room in the engine compartment, and it'll still be faster than the 2CV. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Take the engine out & replace it with a big rubber band and it'll still be faster than the 2CV. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hey, my 2CV could blaze along the autobahns at 55mph. 60-65mph only with a stiff tailwind. But ... 50mpg, and that's with an engine designed in the late 30's.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Just in case you are really interested, the connector is IEC 60603-7-x where x is a speed grade. Straight from my copy of ANSI/TIA-568 C revision part 2.

The IEC spec is 220 US$ if i read the website correctly:

&preview=3D1

Reply to
josephkk

Different optically clear components (as in commercial RJ45) also have different absorption characteristics. But this besides the point, as is the automobile comparison.

"The unit will sit in full sun occasionally and can become as hot as the inside of a car under that condition."

For a start, very few people have any idea what the varying temperatures are in the different areas of their car. They are aware of how hot their seats are, maybe the passenger compartment air, and the dashboard, where their favourite CD just got toasted. This usually involves the IR transmissivity of auto glass and the absorptive capacity of the upholstery or temperature indexes of toasted articles.

Electronic packages that are designed to sit in full insolation need to be packaged appropriately, just as connectors (original topic) need to be selected appropriately for their application.

RL

Reply to
legg

Put a braided sheath over it. Sheesh.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

..

My father painted his stock car's radiator silver one time. From that point on, the engine overheated badly and he could not understand why (I was not old enough at the time to be of any help).

After several weeks of trying to work out the problem he eventually gave up and discarded that radiator and put a different "black" one in. The problem then completely vanished. It wasn't until years later, when I took thermodynamics in high school, that I realized why a black radiator works better for dissipating heat.

But what I don't understand is why air conditioning heat exchangers are all aluminum in color. Why do you not see black A/C heat exchanger coils? Even on your car, your radiator will be black, but the A/C heat exchanger in front of it (which also must dissipate heat) is left an aluminum (no paint) color.

Would the A/C heat exchanger work better if it were also painted a thin layer of black paint? I've never had the guts to try it on my home's central air coils. :)

Warren.

Reply to
Warren

The radiator should not have worked differently because it was silver other than the fact that it was painted and so the spaces between the fins were smaller and the air flow more restricted. Radiators, contrary to their name, don't really do much radiating heat. The heat is conducted to the air flowing over them. That is why they have the thin fins with lots of surface area. If they really radiated the heat, they would just plain be large, likely covering the entire surface of the car.

That explains why the aluminum heat exchanger works just fine, color doesn't matter when you are conducting the heat away.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I also suspect that the silver paint Warren's dad used was the usual thick and "soupy" type metallic paint. That stuff could add an insulation layer where you really didn't want one.

In my youthful days in the 80's I used that kind of paint for my electronics projects. It looked cool (well, for the 80's it did) and it was so popular that you could always find leftovers or small can on sale.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

mainly it was the paint insulating the fins from the air. the black lacquer used on old radiators was to stop them from oxidising,

because copper is too expesive,

I once has a car with an unpainted aluminium rdiator core, this was stock, not a modification.

if it was really thin, like black anodize, maybe .

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I suppose you're right.

It could be- it may have been thicker than it should have been (I couldn't tell you now what kind of paint it was).

Copper of course would need some kind of coating to keep the thing from corroding, whereas I suppose the aluminum is prolly not so prone, depending upon the alloy used.

Warren.

Reply to
Warren