current limiter thingie

Why are you guys discussing electronics in a political discussion group?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Sure. Jfets enhance a bit as the gate goes in the conducting direction, positive in an n-fet. It's not huge. Phemts, with higher transconductance, can enhance well over 2:1.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Its really the Vpinhoff/Vtho bit that does the damage. There are two main parameters, a W/L (gm) factor, and the pinchoff. Pinchoff varies all over the place. gm factor not so much.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Can't say I'm overally keen on that technique. For low voltages, its a floating gate. Not wonderful for noise pickup. HF Feedthrough upsetting it not that great either.

As I know you are well aware, its electrically better to switch the gate to the relevant terminal, dependant on the input polarity. A tad more circuitry though...

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Indeed.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

We need to make those jfets great again.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

It was a demo for current-limiting.

Sure >:-}

Of course. The demo was for the paisan-level... they'd gag and throw-up if I showed a full-fledged protection scheme for an unpowered bus driver (bus signal voltages larger than local VDD).

...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

It's a welcome change. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Odd, that you'd call high capacitance 'terrible'. High capacitance makes them good for a parametric amplifier input. Horses for courses.

Reply to
whit3rd

[snip]

Actually the typical protection case would switch the _body_ (P-channel MOS device)... the gate would a separate control mechanism... tri-state, whatever. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

In my business, 1 pF is a lot of capacitance.

I'd think the high series resistance of a jfet diode would be bad news for RF. Have you used a jfet as a parametric amp? Why not use a real varicap?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ah, define 'real'. Capacitance versus voltage IS real for Zener diodes, JFETs, varicaps, photodiodes, etc. Low-input-current parametric amps aren't really the target for varicap duals, the varicap specs for leakage and capacitance near zero-voltage bias are ... sparse to empty.

Not sure about series resistance of "a jfet diode", either. Balancing inputs, how does that enter into figure-of-merit?

Reply to
whit3rd