Corporate Nanny State?

I always find it hilarious.... buy a pair of scissors, always packed in that hard plastic shell that needs _scissors_ to get it open :-( ...Jim Thompson

Yes, believe it or not, the Stanley folding box cutter comes in a box that needs a cutter to get it open.

Reply to
miso

Generally when Amazon is fronting some other company, they tell you in the advert. Same goes for Newegg. These sites are so popular that smaller companies need the eyeballs. Newegg fronts companies that don't compete with them. Amazon once in a while has some overlap. Certainly in used books. But I presume Amazon makes the money on a fee.

Mother Jones had a funny article by some woman that got a job at a Amazon warehouse. Who knew Amazon ships vibrators!

Reply to
miso

What do you like about amazon prime? As far as I could tell it was a way for me to pay ~$50 per year, for quicker shipping.

(I can't recall the exact numbers.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Free second-day shipping, mostly, plus you can spread one Prime account across your whole family. (I just ordered a case of fancy tonic water on Prime.)

Also, I _hate_ shopping.

A friend of my wife's says that the reason she has all her stuff shipped by UPS is that she loves men in uniform. ;)

My daughter sent me the link to the "love letter to Amazon Prime". The way she retold it was a lot funnier than the original, it turns out, but FWIW:

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Or a nice pair of Clauss Fiber Optic Kevlar shears - from Amazon. $12.86 One of those tools I got, and then noticed how much I could have used it over the years before I had it (not just for cutting kevlar and fiber.)

Ecnerwal

Everything I've ordered has free standard shipping (including a 600lb table saw). Stuff always gets here within a week anyway (usually three days). Never saw the point in spending more for what I already get (give or take).

Some stores are fun.

It's the shorts. ;-)

I could even wait until Christmas morning when I was a kid - pissed off my (older) brothers.

Reply to
krw

I have had it for about a year now, and it has paid for itself several times over. First, that faster shipping makes a big difference when you start using it - no extra charges added again and again. But the big deal is the free Amazon Instant Video access for a large number of movies and TV shows. We have dropped Netflix and reduced our satellite package to the bare minimum. Bored? Take a look at Amazon Prime, and watch a Dr. Who or a Star Trek, or for a laugh, see "As Time Goes By" again...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Fun, Thanks. I mostly just buy books from them, and I'm rarely in a hurry.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Lucky, you. I was walking down one of their hardware isles and had a piece of precut sheet metal fall out of rack, and slice a lot of skin off one of my legs. That was about three years ago, and it's still healing.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have come to the conclusion that there truly isn't much benefit to getting older - time to heal included!!

Reply to
mpm