copper thickness test

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:qvlccr$kcc$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Add a half mil for the adhesive used to bond to foil. Add 1 mil (IIRC) for the mask. The PCB house can tell you the exact bonded thickness of the mask.

Then measure the pcb at a location that is bare. Measure again over a trace. Subtract.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Measuring thickness is easy. Here's an example for a thin aluminum film:

The resistance of a pure aluminum film 26 nanometers thick is

1.038 ohms per square.

This means you can have a ribbon of material 1 cm wide and 10 cm long, and the resistance between the ends will be 10 * 1.038 = 10.38 ohms. The resistance is calculated as follows:

Ohms/square = Bulk Resistivity / Thickness

The bulk resistivity of pure aluminum is about 27e-9 Ohms, and the film is

26 namometers thick. So the resistance is

Ohms/square = 27e-9 / 26e-9 = 1.038 ohms per square

Similarly, you can measure the resistance of the ribbon, and determine the average thickness. The thickness is calculated as follows:

Thickness = Bulk Resistivity / Ohms per square

For example, if you measure 10.38 ohms between the ends of a ribbon 1 cm wide and 10 cm long, the resistance is 10.38 / 10 = 1.038 Ohms per Square. The thickness of the film is then

Thickness = 27e-9 / 1.038 = 26 nm

A Kelvin probe can be used to measure the resistance when it is very low.

The next problem is to extend this to copper, and figure out the weight from the thickness.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Indeed. I reckon peeling the stuff off and micing it will give an erroneous oversize result. The most accurate method is to etch it away. But if precision isn't an issue then fine I suppose.

--

No deal? No problem! :-D
Reply to

Resistivity

Aluminum : 2.65e-8 Copper : 1.68e-8

Copper Weight

The following is the formula for cpw (in oz) to thickness (in mils) conversion:

Thickness(in oz) = thickness (in mils) /1.37

The following is the formula for thickness (in mils) to cpw (in oz) conversion:

t (in mils) = t (in oz) * 1.37

Weight Thickness 1/2 Oz. .7 mils 1 Oz. 1.4 mils 2 Oz. 2.8 mils

Steve Wilson

500 uohms/square is close for 1 oz copper.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Part of the foil on common FR4 boards includes a terrible "black oxide" adhesion treatment. It adds thickness but is a horrible conductor. Skin effect is especially awful.

So measure resistance to get the effective low-frequency copper thickness.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

What if you peel some off and wash it in solvent to remove the mask from the top and the glue from the bottom?

But since the real goal is to get the resistance you want, measuring that is more direct than direct measurement of the thickness.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

If you etch it away, the glue could partly dissolve away too. And a micrometer might compress the glue as well.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:qvm12t$umd$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

No etch. Just take a reading and subtract the KNOWN mask thickness. One can assume the mask thickness better than the copper (obviously).

Another way is to get and keep handy some samples of 4oz 2oz 1oz, and maybe even a cutaway of each.

With experience, one could tell easily by how difficult the peeled strip is to bend or curl.

Or you could use a known cut strip size and use weight. Known values for each copper weight sould allow you to peel a specifically sized strip and simple weight it to tell what the copper oz weight is.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Heat it with a reducing flame (ie one with excess fuel) the resin will let go long before the copper melts

The redusicng flame will prevent the copper from oxidising.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

From JLPCB, you may have just inherited the weight of other jobs, processed at the same time.

If you'd opted for ROHS, they'd have back-ordered you to the

1st of the month.

RL

Reply to
legg

I'm oblig'd.

--

No deal? No problem! :-D
Reply to

Why do the Chinese proto board houses have such insane default stackups?

0.1 mm between a layer 1 trace and a layer 2 ground plane! That makes a 50 ohm trace 6 mils wide, and a 75 ohm trace impossible.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I doubt the Chinese proto houses are doing something that isn't common practice

and there are numerous app notes, saying that keeping the signal layer close

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Peel up a bit and grab it with tweezers. Now pull and run a hot soldering iron on the top of the trace, just ahead of the pull point. The epoxy softens and the whole trace zips off easily.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

I'm oblig'd. :)

Incidentally, John, that quote on your sig about the triumph of ignorance over reason or whatever it is, who is the author - PG Woodhouse perchance? I really should read more Woodhouse.

--

No deal? No problem! :-D
Reply to

Instinct over Reason!

That was Dorothy Sayers, in one of the Lord Peter mysteries. She was really smart. She invented the Guinness toucan.

Wodehouse was an amazing writer. A Damsel In Distress is astonishing, especially the last three chapters.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Wodehouse - of course! It's been far too long; over 40 years since I finished The Mating Season. His satirical observations on the English class system are matchless. The Grossmiths' Diary of a Nobody came close-ish, but.... not close enough.

--

No deal? No problem! :-D
Reply to

It really is remarkable that within 120s of reading that, it was downloaded onto my machine ready to be copied to my kindle.

Back in the good old days it would have taken a week or so to get it from the public library.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Does this mean that the copper layer thickness in a via is just 0.3 oz ((1.2-1.06)*2)? I always thought it's strange that vias are so reliable, especially given that they are supposed to make contact with inner layers as well as top/bottom.

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski