Convert gear tooth sensor square wave output to analog voltage

I am trying to design a speed sensor for a FIRST robot. We are using three wheels on each side and will be varying motor speed on each side to steer the robot. I plan on using the Allegro gear tooth sensor, ATS665LSG to sense drive wheel rotation. This gear tooth sensor outputs a square wave where the pulse repetition interval is porportional to the speed of the rotating gear. I would like to convert the pulse repetition interval to an anlog voltage (0-5VDC) that can be used as a voltage proportional to the wheel speed. One thought is to input the square wave into a simple op-amp integrator? Any other design implementations ideas or integratice circuit options? I have

12VDC power available. Thanks!
Reply to
bfw37

Running a square wave into an integrator won't do you a lot of good because the average voltage will always be the same.

You might try a little microcontroller. You could measure the pulse width directly and depending on the uC either generate an analog output or a higher frequency PWM output. This could be a very inexpensive solution and give you a lot of flexibility. You could probably do all the wheels with one uC. It would be easy to get direction out of it too.

Another way you could do it, if you have a fear of uCs, would be to trigger a one-shot each time you get an edge. Run the one-shot through an integrator and you have pretty much the same circuit you were thinking of to begin with.

Either way it should be fairly straight forward. Good luck.

- Tim

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
trkemp

this may be of interest

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

. An integrator won't work, but a low pass filter will. It wiil provide a voltage proportional to speed. AN integrator output would simply ratcht its way up to op-amp saturation. If you need to also sense direction, then you will need two sensors. Regards, Jon

Reply to
Jon

Ahhhh Well, there you go........

The FIRST thing you should have said is that you were doing a FIRST robot.....

Not that people know what a FIRST robot is....

I watched/listened the video/audio.....

Strange people, wierd haircuts, old blokes and rubbish......

Seriously, other than the excitement I see no substance.

And you may have problems.

Like the Griff says, have a look for frequency to voltage converters. Unfortunately you still have to interface it to the other stuff to drive your FIRST robot and most of the competitions stuff looks like lo-tech so it's not as if you are going to get much help from your team mates.

So, the cunning idea..... which is why this is crossposted to the slackware group, is you drop one of those optical mice things on the floor. I have noticed my optical mouse was cheap and it cute and appears to move the cursor thing quite nicely.

Install a puter on your robot and do some interface type stuff wiv PID control. (Can I throw up at that statement?)

Then you can call it SlackBot and place it in the LinuxBot category along with any challengers from other Linux distributions.

SuseBot UbuntuBot RedHatBot KittyBot BottyBot

Obviously Bill Gates will get really excited about the idea so he will need a category called NotMovingBot to cover all of his operating systems.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Americans generally do the right thing, after first exhausting all the available alternatives - Winston Spencer Churchill

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Oooh, old irrelevent bloke.

Is this some reference to 'Invasion of the Clones'.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

WSC was an arsehole, but did have a fine way with verbs and stuff. Dunno Invasion of the Clones(never heard of it), prefer the Day of the Triffids

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

What on earth for?

For interfacing with the microcontroller feed the pulse to a digital input and have a hardware counter inside the micro, or an interrupt routine count the pulses.

Measuring speed is a littl;e harder, but measuring distance is much easier and more precise.

Is it a fixed width pulse?

|| pulses in ---||------+-->|-+-------[R1]-+----+----- speed out || | | | | .->|-' ===== .--[R2]-' ===== | | | | 0V ------+----------+----+------------+-----

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

America is still here. Where is Winston Spencer Churchill?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Invasion of The Clones?

It's my new Fuckumentory for the BBC that demonstrates how society and the world is still controlled by the original evolutionary aspects that underly mankind.

Episode One looks at what that Manwatching Bloke Said.

Episode Two fucks him over and explains how much we will f*ck each over for a bit of life. It's not as if he is not a millionaire now and he did not give me serious titty picture. That's the evolutionary stuff.

Episode Three examines the phscyciological(?) stuff that underlies the opportunity for the people who will f*ck others over for the opportunity to have a really nice house. Which is what like we have those that are to be harvested for us nice houses.

In episode Four we discover the concept of the upper upper upper Middle Class, AKA scum who suck the suck in service of........

The harvestors. The users and abusors. Scum Fucker bastard fucks.

Which is not much different from Episode Five, where I get my PHd and convert all the other religions to Genomism and everyone dies.

At this point in time no-one notices until I detonate the two polar fusion bombs followed by the 360 equatorial ones, at the time the compression wave arrives.

Then I'l go f****ng rape all your arses having bought a nice insurance policy and larf at you f****rs who get to vote like dumb fucks and hate you for not.....

Giving me a comfortable death.

WHAT A FUCKING SHITTY WORLD

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Playing around with some alternatives, maybe, bit like Pres. Raygun

Anyway, just been watching the Shuttle land on NASAtv, it seems they did a monster job at the ISS. Very Impressive

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Some people are vegiterians, they only eat vegetables.

Triffids are humanitarians, they only eat humans.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

snip oodles of >>>>>>>>>>>>

You f***ed up The commom format in TV is a threefactctumentary, 40 min program with

3 facts, not always accurate, in it, excluding adverts that extends the program (?) to an hour.

But in Lost, this is down to 0.3 happenings per episode

You had a storyline..... Failed

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I wrote this for the BBC and you mentioned adverts so you can go f*ck yourself.

WANKER

DNA

Reply to
Genome

It flew over my house about 5:25, on it way to the cape.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida