continuous compounding (2023 Update)

But you have posted links to it from time to time.

As judged by Cursitor Doom. More realistic observers see them being proved far-right rather more frequently.

The problem isn't so much the facts they do report, as the facts they leave out to get the spin they want.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

I've got a couple of friends who were professional mathematicians. I know very well that I'm not in that class, but I have used mathematics to solve problems from time to time. I also know where to look to find worked-out mathematical solutions. It's a tedious search. Happily Spehro Pefhany has done it for us.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Happily for YOU I think you mean. ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom
<snip>

Let's calculate the effective APR for RichD's notional 2% APR continuously compounded for a one year term. Let:

P = $1.00 r = 0.02 t = 1

then A = Pe^(rt) = 1.00e^(0.02) = 1.02020134 so the effective APR over a period of one year is 0.02020134 and the effective APR over a ten year term becomes 0.0221402758.

We're in an era where central bankers speak of Negative Interest Rate Policy (NIRP) with a straight face. (Yield, in the form of a bond flip to a Greater Fool, allows a NIRP bond investor to recover principle lost to negative interest.)

Plug in a notional -0.5% APR over a one year term into the formula:

A = 1.00e^(-0.005) = 0.995012479

So, a NIRP investor loses about half a cent in one year, or about a nickel over ten years. Not a big bite. Unless, of course, you're a fund manager with one hundred million dollars on deposit. Then you lose half a million per year.

Danke,

Reply to
Don

So a mortgage schedule with constant payments and compounded monthly is a monthly pmnt schedule of:

Pmnt= P x i/ [ 1 - (1/(1+i))^N)

Pmnt= monthly P= original principal i= monthly interest N= term of loan on months

Total interest paid N x Pmnt - P , gets big.

What strategy, other than abrupt prepayment, minimizes total interest and loss, assuming additional money used to supplement payment earns interest at 2 x i?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

yowzer!

As expected, most here dismissed this as a boring student math problem. A few nerds took up the cudgels. Hail fellows!

But nobody got the point: it's the pilfering coin minter, of last week, in disguise! That one was presented in discrete form: n boxes, one coin per box, etc. Also random and probabilistic. This one presents itself as deterministic and continuous. At the end of the day, same same!

The lesson is that a problem might be more or less soluble, depending on presentation, or language. But I suppose every hominid on this rock understands that -

So, open it: did you ever face a tough nut to crack, then you rotated it, shone a different light, and the clouds parted? Share your war stories, grampa -

Reply to
RichD

um, yes, but as the teacher admonished: "Show your work"

Specifically, what is e?

Reply to
RichD

Rate of change of principal is dp/dt = i*p

dp/dt*(1/p) = i

integrate both sides to get

ln(p(t) = i*t + C

take exponential of each side

p(t) = e^(i*t)*K

K = e^C is the initial amount.

As this is an electronic ng there shouldn't be anyone here who is not familiar with the base of the natural logarithms 2.7182818...

e^(j*pi) = -1

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You saying that doesn't make it so. Either demonstrate it analytically or go take a hike.

Give us a break...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs