Confusing wording?

Gentlemen,

I came across this instruction in a service manual and for some reason find it hard to understand its meaning. It's probably my fault, but I'd appreciate confirmation of that. :)

The wording is:

  1. "Adjust output dBm until the power meter indicates +9dBm.
  2. "Adjust tuning slowly through the range 100kHz to 3Ghz and note the meter readings at 25Mhz intervals. The difference between the readings should not be greater than 1.0dB."

Are they trying to say all the readings should lie between 7.74dBw and

10.26dBw?? It's far from clear - to me at any rate!

Thanks,

CD

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I would take it to mean the taken readings should not be above or below each other than 1db.

Reply to
RheillyPhoull

That wording's even worse than the original!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'm guessing they mean difference between consecutive readings, but they may mean difference between any two readings (ie between max and min)

100kHz really? 100MHz perhaps?
--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Signal generator output flatness test ? All measurements should be inside 1dB. If you start with 9.0dBm output, maximum is 9.4 and minimum

8.4, that's a pass. If a single measurement is 8.3, it's a fail.

What's the box you're servicing ?

--
mikko
Reply to

Agilent 8752C. But I'm not servicing it. I'm not qualified to service this kind of stuff. I do recommission them rather than see them go to landfill, though, but that's another story. Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not by my reckoning. Should be 7.98 and 9.77dBw.

Reply to
Martin James Smith

What the *** is a dBw? And how did you get those values?

To me, the original wording simply means that max-min < 1dB, where both max and min are the values in dBm. There is really no way to tell what max and min should be, except that they bracket this 9dBm value.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Argh, you're right! Yes, I should have written dBm. WTF did I get "dBw" from?? I don't even know myself. :/

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've taken another look at it and come up with something else entirely. I'll show my working for the avoidance of doubt:

Q: What is 9dBm + 1.0dB?

  1. Convert 9dBm to Watts using lookup tables = 8mW approx.
  2. What, then, is 8mW + 1.0dB?
  3. 1dB translates to a factor of 1.259 according to the tables.
  4. Multiply 0.008 by 1.259 = 0.01W or 10mW.
  5. Use the tables to convert 10mW back into dBm = 10dBm.

So the permissible upper limit for a 9dBm signal is 10dBm. You can use the same method to find the lower limit (9dBm-1.0dB). I think that's correct, anyway, although since this is not my field, I could possibly be wrong....

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Something should catch your eye here: 9dBm + 1dB = 10dBm. Simple. That's what the dB was invented for.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

I'm afraid that makes no sense to me whatsoever, so I'll have to continue with my cumbersome methodology! If it had been 9dBm + 1dBm =

10dBm I could see your point. Looks like you missed out a "m". :-D
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No, unsurprisingly he didn't.

dB is relative power a.k.a. a ratio, log scale dBm is absolute power

9dBm = 7.94mW 1dBm = 1mW 7.94mW + 1mW = 8.94mW = 9.51dBm != 10dBm

FFI, see

but I doubt you will since you have killfiled me :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Nope, it works exactly like that. 1dB is relation (multiply) and 1dBm is absolute power.

If you increase power from 9dBm by 1dB, that equals 10^(0.1)=1.25 multiplication, i.e. 9dBm + 1dB = 8mW * 1.25 = 10mW = 10dBm.

But if you combine 9dBm and 1dBm, you get 8mW+1mW=9mW=9.6dBm.

--
mikko
Reply to

That just shows you don't understand dB in any way.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

And can't be bothered to - do /trivial/ research - try to understand the simple facts he should have uncovered

That's repeated behaviour for him.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Agreed.

Agreed. But that's just the "cumbersome method" I used myself earlier up the thread.

Which differs from your own answer further up the thread! And I have no idea what you mean by "combine" either.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I see it as,

The spread between you highest and your lowest measurement should not have more than 1db difference. It could be a lowest reading of 8.5db and highest of 9.5db or a low of

8db and high of 9db or a low of 9db and a high of 10db.

But I don't even know what you are working on.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

OK, add m to all those db.

It could be a lowest reading of 8.5dbm and highest of 9.5dbm or a low of 8dbm and high of 9dbm or a low of 9dbm and a high of 10dbm.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Nope. There I wrote +1dB, not +1dBm.

+1dB corresponds to relative increase of roughly +25%. +1dBm correspods to absolute increase of 1mW.

Google for 'ARRL tutorial for Decibel' and read it, that might explain.

But for your purposes, just check my first message to get pass/fail result.

--
mikko
Reply to