Cmos Battery/Clock

Dunno. You also want to do this OUT of the circuit (as you have no idea if those pins are N/C on the motherboard). And, if it confirms the location of the cell, probably cut those legs so they can't connect to the PCB.

(Where are you located?)

Remember, DVM not (analog) VOM. The latter will effectively kill the cell in the time it takes you to measure.

Reply to
Don Y

Obviously, you want to screw with the OLD (known bad) chip, first!

Reply to
Don Y

Ya, I ground into it this morning. I found metal near pin 16 but, I didn't find any metal at a reasonable depth near pin 20. I went deeper than any of the pictures of grinding on the other chips. Over 3/32". It doesn't make a lot of sense because internally there are two compartments, the two pins are not in the same compartment. Pin 20 is right a the seam between the two compartments. I ordered a new chip from Mouser. I'll wait for it before doing any more.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Happy Days,

A recap, I ordered an M48T86PC1 from China and it turned out to be old stock, and the Lithium battery was dead. I received a Dallas DS12887A Cmos Clock Lithium Battery from Mouser as replacement for the M48T86PC1. I installed it and the computer works just fine. Next step, see if the computer will still run the HP 3330B Synthesizer and the HP 3570A Network Analyzer under GPIB control.

Thanks for all the help, Mikek

Reply to
amdx