CCD image sensor for modular spectrometer

Hi,

I would like to build a benchtop optical spectrometer based on this image sensor or similar:

S7030/S7031 series back-thinned FFT-CCD made by Hamamatsu:

Any idea on how much one of these sensors costs? This one is pretty high end I think.

I found an ebay auction with one of these image sensors hooked up to a "detector head"

Here is the datasheet for the detector head:

My plan is to mount the CCD to a custom PCB that implements the detector head functionality and has a USB interface to send the CCD data to PC. Then use a fixed optical grating to shine light onto the CCD (like most common spectrometers seem to do). I would like it to be capable of doing Raman spectroscopy as well as "normal" spectroscopy.

Any advice for making this spectrometer? If anyone else is interested in this project let me know.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

admformeto

Or use webcam plus this cheap spectrometer:

admformeto

Years ago in Palo Alto, CA I saw a spectrum color analyzer that had an accuracy of better than 1 nm BW.

They used a broadband optical sensor preceded by a mechancial grid. They merely tilted the grid, changing its angle to change the grid's pitch, in order to scan the frequency. At the time, sheer genious.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Look for 1D cameras such as 4096x1, which are used in film scanning or scanning objects on the assembly line.

That products appears to be able to resolve only 100 spectral lines.

If a 2D element is used, you could build a imaging spectrometer in which the Y-axis represents the various wavelengths, the X-axis represents actual pixels in the X-axis line, you have a multispectral

1D camera.

With mechanical tilting of the grating an CCD in up-down direction, you can construct a imaging 2D multispectral camera.

Reply to
upsidedown