Can a high power (1W) laser permanently damage a traffic camera sensor?

Not wholesale, as is the norm today.

Do try to think. I know you've never done it but do try,

Reply to
krw

Exactly, in the old days you had to at least put a cop out there writing tickets. Now it's all automated. Money collected untouched by human hands!

But of course, I'd point out since this is sci.electronics.design, that it's not automated enough. Given the current level of technology in cars, it would be a small thing to enable the car computer linked with GPS and roadside gummint gear to monitor all drivers 24/7. It would be simple. The computer will know if you have exceeded the speed limit or failed to buckle your seat belt. Furthermore, the government link also provides traffic light timing information to determine if you have gone through a changing light or failed to come to complete non tire rotating stop at every stop sign. This will be linked to local police that records the violation automatically and just as automatically debits your bank account for the fine which of course has been properly adjusted for conditions (like say doubled in a work zone).

You guys understand this technology and you know this is all easy to do. Give the gear to the cities free and get paid out of the money..er collected from motorists. Get to work and you'll soon be billionaires.

Just as a hint: There used to be a small town west of me here 60 people, yes, just 60. It was on a main highway and they had a traditional traffic trap there. It used to rake in several MILLION dollars a year! Had a cop car that looked like the BatMobile! Now here's the funny part. The town auditor gets arrested for embezzling a million bucks. Admits to having a gambling problem where (he says) he lost all the money. Gets a slap on the wrist with a short time in stir. A few years later, the NEW town auditor gets arrested for embezzling a million bucks. Same Gambling story, same slap on the wrist. (and probably same trip to some resort town in Mexico). Eventually the town (then down to 35 people) voted to unincorporate. Ain't politics grand!

Reply to
benj

Absolutely. Even staring at intense LED light over prolonged time periods can cause permanent eye damage. I remember the mandatory safety training classes at LBNL(when I was working as a research associate) and it was drilled in by the instructor to NEVER, EVER look directly at any lighted up laser. Even laser pointers can cause eye damage to both the user and others if used carelessly.

Reply to
dakupoto

New intersections around here have four cameras to detect cars. If some idiot knocks them out, the lights won't change.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If they don't have a fall-back mode on sensor failure some civil servant needs to be cashiered

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hmm, 1 Watt focused down onto a small area of the CCD array could certainly cause some localized heating. How much and any damage are open questions.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Use a high pressure cleaner with added abrasive grit.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Experienced?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

No - I'm purely a theoretician. I look forward to reports from the experimentalists.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Excellent answer.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Not only that the vending/manufacturing company needs to be prosecuted for fraud as sensor failure into a call mode is a standard requirement nation wide.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

The county installs and maintains the equipment. The loops require replacement every time the road has to be repaved. They can change a failed camera without closing an intersection.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

But the fail-safe state should be a "normally functioning" intersection. The camera is not needed to operate the lights. If the controls fail, the safe state should be similar, or blinking reds at a minimum.

Reply to
krw

It is. What planet are you on? Around here (Arizona) a complete failure defaults to blinking red in all directions (sometimes blinking yellow on the main thoroughfare, blinking red on the side street).

The cameras aren't actually cameras, but motion and IR detectors to cycle the lights based on load... nothing detected, they run on a timed schedule. ...Jim Thompson

Reading back a few posts, Michael seemed to be saying that the light hung when the camera went out.

They're beginning (or will be very soon) to use cameras with image recognition. Fewer false indications and they can "see" motorcycles, bicycles, etc.

Again,...

Reply to
krw

with

If

for

nation

Ususally. Also you can replace the loops without closing the intersection if you know what you are doing. BTDT. At least two through lanes in each direction on each approach.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

of

then

town.

with

If

prosecuted for

nation

When done correctly.

Not in the lest bit true. I have been there at way too many installations over the years. I am also familiar with the typical agency specifications, manufacturer's products etc., for many years. It is mostly standard definition color cameras these days. Signals are more and more coordinated or traffic responsive since the late 1970s. The new systems have system wide 2D traffic flow optimizing computers (a tarted up PC running specialty software).

Reply to
josephkk

That does nothing to help rush hour traffic. It just backs up, like traffic did in the '60s.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

These set the left turn ratios. If it doesn't detect a vehicle, it alters the cycle.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some of these are on the intersection of a pair of two lane roads. Have you ever dealt with FDOT? It takes Florida three years to build a road that would take three months in other states. When they were building the interchange on US 441 and 19 in Eustis florida they had a brand new piece of heavy equipment sink into the ground, never to be recovered. I don't know what mix they use for asphalt, but it wears out quickly around here. The main road near here has had workers there for over a month to repave a half mile, out to the main highway. It is just two lanes, with a short turn lane into a school near the highway.

They are now working to the west of 35th Ct. The month was from there, east to 441 (Which Google refers to as 301, even though all the signs are 441.):