building electronics beacon for survival

"Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@doubleclick.net:

the squirrel may get your nuts. B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yep, I do carry most of that, depending where I'm going, and the season, etc, etc. And these days I don't go too far without the ultra-lite gas stove. The list I provided was just the little survival pack, that goes in regardless of place or season.

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Yes, agreed, there's umpteen thousands of them installed. I was referring to manufacturers. And there may not be actually be hundreds of them, but it seems like it.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Is that like a billy-boil, or like a billy-club? ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Just today I was looking for "Jell-o shots" and stumbled on this:

which seems to have an excellent recipe, and then went on to this:

Where it sounds like they've discovered homemade Sterno, although it does seem a waste of perfectly drinkable alcohol. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

I think most people dont realise that most of Australia is typically just a glorified desert!

Reply to
The Real Andy

On a sunny day (Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:44:05 +1300) it happened Barry Lennox wrote in :

\\>Aw, Gee, I'm a sucker today. But here tis' (I'd like to think it may

I have heard that if you go desert, then bring a sheet of clear plastic. Then if you need water, dig a hole, put the plastic over it, with a cup below, and a stone to dent it where the cup is. Some condensation on the bottom of the plastic sheet will form and that water will slide down and drip into the cup.

_____ ______ platic sheet

---| \\ / |--------------- desert | \\ stone / | | \\ O / | | \\/ | | | | (__) cup | |___________| hole

not to scale

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Then take a swig of the "100 mL bottle of alcohol" and wrap up what's left of your nuts with the "small roll of duct tape"

Reply to
maxfoo

We did that back in Boy Scouts. It does work, although what isn't mentioned is that the water collected is usually rather dirty... bits of sand & dirt & what-not inevitably make their way onto the plastic sheet and into the cut.

Granted, if you're otherwise dying of thrist, I doubt you'd care...

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Naaah! The politically correct crowd has installed "watering holes" all along the southern deserts so the illegals don't die of thirst... though they might frown on us ordinary gringos drinking the water ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Was that supposed to look like this? :-) _____ platic sheet ______ --| \ / |--------------- desert | \ stone / | | \ O / | | \/ | | | | (__) cup | |_____________| hole

On my server it wrapped kinda funny.

I've seen diagrams of a version of this, where they cut up a cactus, and lined the hole with cactus slices. Pulp side up, of course. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On a sunny day (Fri, 22 Dec 2006 00:11:35 GMT) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

You need to use a fixed size font.

Yes that would work too, lost of moist in the plant, but then may as well bring a cactus press :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

the other source of moisture you can add is to 'relieve' yourself into the ground adjacent to your still...

or, add any other source of moisture available...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

I did. I've been using a fixed sized font since I figured it out about a decade ago.

_YOU_ need to use a fixed-sized font. >:-[ [ ed. note: ;-) ]

Which weighs more: a cactus press or a 1m x 1m sheet of 3 mil (.1mm?) poly? ;-)

We're talking about being lost here, after all. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

And make the cup look like a little toilet bowl, to be sure you'll miss... ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

On a sunny day (Sat, 23 Dec 2006 00:16:46 GMT) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

I think maybe you changed some settings in your newsreader, or whetever you used. I looked up my original posting text, and it is correct in fixed font in 2 different editors.

Cactus press can be very small, plastic or just cut a peace and press it with some stones.

Actually in my country is is _really_ difficult to get lost. There is a sign on every corner and a bar on every street corner.

hehe

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

To qualify you must kill yourself before you breed.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller