Blue LED at 3.3V

Dear John Larkin,

I like that one! It's notably simple, as in being a DC-to-DC converter having only 4 components (excluding the often-advised capacitor across the power supply leads of the IC - .1 uF 25V cheapie ceramic capacitor is an often-advised occaisionally-necessary item that gets the component count up to 5, 6 if you also count the LED.

Component count may get to 6 excluding the LED, 7 including it, if this boost converter gets good enough to overpower the LED or deliver more output power than desired, so as to necessitate adding a resistor in series with the LED.

I would like to add that efficiency is likely to improve if the non-LED diode (a reaistor is offered as a workable alternative) is a Schottky one. I would look into Schottky diodes with breakdown voltage 30V at most, maybe 20V, and rated to handle 1 amp or less, maybe much less. Come to think of it, much less to get improvement towards shorter switching times.

It does appear to me that the shown capacitor and resistor are "left to the student". I would like to make that capacitor .01 uF merely from knowing that one is a common cheap part. I could gain desire to make it smaller in consideration of likely oscillation frequency considering a desired value for the shown resistor...

I would want to make that resistor 100K max to "make this cleaner", and I have a liking to get oscillation frequency into the 50 to mildly-above-100 KHz ballpark, in order to make the oscillation frequency ultrasonic to humans and most pets (even though dB acoustic pressure is impressively low to negligible likely less than 30 1 meter away).

Also I would want the oscillation frequency to be not-too-close to the common ones for TV/VCR/DVD common consumer devices. But if the LED emits at a shorter wavelength, as in/near blue, that is less-likely a problem. If that problem comes up anyway, I would primarily put a longpass filter in front of the consumer device sensor - as in Wratten preferably 92, secondarily 29, tertiarily 25 or equivalents including Schott glass longpass optical filters (regardless ofwho supplies longpass optical filters based on Schott glass products), having part numbers starting with RG and including afterwards 630 to 670.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

How are these data as function of temperature faring when current is

25 or 20 or 15 % of "characterizing current", when efficiency is improved by current into the range of 15-25% of "characterizing current", in addition to lower temperature that favors increase of ratio of light output to LED current, more-so when the LEDs in question are underpowered?
--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 May 2010 19:40:25 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I wanted to say: Just use resistor to heat up the LED. Perhaps a NTC could be used, not sure if it would be easy to fidn teh right one, and mount it next to the lED in parallel with the supply...

Now somebody could invent a LED with all that build in, photo sensor too, to keep light output at a progammable (I2C perhaps) level. Little switcher inside? Current limiter... This is the age of integration, logic level I2C input.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Tim Wescott schrieb:

Hello,

they mix the blue light with yellow light from the fluorescent material, but it is a very narrow blue band and a very broad yellow band. If you look at a spectrum diagram of the resulting light it looks very different to white light from the sun or from a ligth bulb with a glowing tungsten wire.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Some may indeed by bi-chromic but the ones that I've examined recently with a handheld spectroscope have a remarkably even spectrum from about

420 to 680 nm. It's not a quantitative instrument but there were no obvious emission or absorption lines. Surprised me, in a good way.
--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Hi,

Could you post his circuit on

or
or something similar - I just can connect.

Reply to
David Eather

one,

Nah, A one wire interface with parasitic power.

Reply to
David Eather

Maybe a TEC and controller to control the wavelength?

Do you really want LEDs with 80 page manuals (and 5 pages of errata)? ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I usually do multilayer boards with power and ground planes. A few bypass caps will do for the whole board, so I don't put one per chip like in olden days.

The average LED current is set by the R and C values, so you don't need another resistor.

The danger is that the drop of the diode+LED had better be less than the max supply voltage. So silicon might be better in some cases.

R and C have to be selected to get the desired LED current. There's a second invisible capacitor, Cin of the gate, that's involved too.

Hmmm, neither C may matter. It might all cancel out. Somebody should do the math.

John

how

+3.3V----+-----------+ | | |\| V This is diode or R | \ - +--+| >--+-CC---+ | | / | | | |/| | V light comes out here +------RR--+ - | GND

The IC is a schmitt trigger. (And connected to ground also... connection not shown)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 May 2010 08:07:44 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

one,

Oh well, one gets used to things :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

one,

We don't yet use any parts with thousand-page datasheets, but we do have a couple over 800. And the longer the manual, the worse it seems to be.

John

. . .

Who better than the designer?

Besides, that circuit won't work as drawn.

Reply to
John Fields

Copy of a scheme by Bob Hirschfeld, at National, 40 years ago... called "The Miser"... ran on a 1.5V cell. ...Jim Thompson

Wonder why? Wonder how Larkin will excuse that away ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | The only thing bipartisan in this country is hypocrisy

Wherever you got your 3.3V from, there's probably OTHER power available. Use that.

Regulated 3.3V power is unsuitable for this task. If that's blocking you, re-engineer it so it doesn't.

Reply to
whit3rd

I have a day job. An idea isn't a design.

Why not? The schmitt needs to be an inverter to oscillate of course, but that should be obvious to anyone who posts to s.e.d. The point is that a clock, a cap, and a diode will boost 3.3 volts nicely, to drive a 3 volt LED. One could even eliminate the resistor!

Better than any ideas you or JT posted. C'mon, do us a 555 thing. Or something with 85 transistors.

John

Excuses! Excuses! Excuses!

Inverter or buffer, it can't work as drawn. Your day job certainly isn't circuit design :-) ...Jim Thompson

Thanks.

Reply to
David Eather

Theory of "operation" is left as an exercise for the student :-) ...Jim Thompson