Bipolar +/- 30 V 1 A 1 kHz sine wave amplifier - op amp, voltage controlled power supply, or ??

I need to amplify a sine wave (0.05 to 1 kHz) to +/- 30 Volts at 1 Amp. The output voltage needs to be adjustable and can be accomplished by varying the input amplitude or circuit gain. I've considered using an op amp such as the OPA548 but am wondering if there is a bipolar power supply capable of external voltage control with a $100 to $200 cost or an inexpensive complete amplifier or another approach. I need two such devices for driving two coils to generate out of phase magnetic fields.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

These guys (Apex) make amplifiers that will work, but you'll need a power supply, too. I'm not sure about their prices.

Lots of people make power supplies, but I think it's gonna be tough to meet your price requirements for the amp/power supply combo.

You can probably find a hifi power amp on eBay that will (almost) meet your needs. The biggest issue is going to be the low frequency response. You'll need to get a schematic to determine if any of them will be easily modifed to pass (essentially) dc. If you can find one of the old amps from Great American Sound Co. (aka The GAS Company) like their Son of Ampzilla, it will do the job and I have schematics. They are easy to modify to have response down to dc. As I recall, the output stage is on a +-35V supply. The bigger Ampzilla runs on +-75V, but it's going to be much more expensive.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

"Steve"

** A stereo amplifier rated at 50 watts into 8 ohms per channel could be modified to do the job you want.

Or else find yourself an old Crown DC300A, which would be ideal.

** Those coils each have 30 ohms resistance with no iron cores - right ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You may want to look at another OP-AMP, spec's indicate that it's 60V supply which means a +/- 30V for what you want. Also, spec's indicate that you lose ~ 2.0 volts at 1 AMP out from the rails. if you're truly looking for that +/- 30V's on the output, this could be a problem.

Unless you plan on bridging them ?

"

Reply to
Jamie

As others have pointed out, plenty of stereo amps can be had cheaply at garage sales and many can be reworked to operate near DC. If everything else fails something like this ought to do:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Naaah! Just take any old OpAmp and add a discrete device output stage... take maybe 5X gain in the output stage, and it'll be easy to make ±30V at 1A.

...Jim Thompson

Nah, then do it the modern way. I'd probably go class D on this one :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

And wonder why it sounds like crap ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

"Liberals" (aka leftist weenies) are very confused people.
Anyone they disagree with, they label as "moron".
Yet the truth is that the most moronic & gullible people in the
world are "liberals".

Clearly "liberal" is an oxymoron.

Actually I did something similar, more like a "modulated" switch mode converter. The distortion was miniscule. I believe class D amps that don't sound good are more related to what you call operator error, by the guys sitting in front of the schematic editor screen.