Best substrate for L-band(1.4Ghz) Microstrip Filter and alternative Filter techniques

Hi,

I have to design a Bandpass Ustrip filter centered at 1.4Ghz with 8% BW. As I check Rogers offers high dielectric constant substrates but it doe not show the performance in L-band although I guess it is quite stable and losses go down. Any experience using Rogers 3006 at L-band ?

Would you consider any other substrate option or even any other Filter tecnique(Lumped, ceramic filters,etc) at that frequency ?

Thanks. Rafael

Reply to
RafaP

What loss figure? What power level?

Unless you are after something special, the off the shelf ceramic filter would be the best solution.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

%

Hi,

I've been searching for ceramic filters but I dont want exactly what I want(Off-the-shelf). Anyway, I'll be very thankful if you recommend me more ceramic filter manufacturers. I am going for ustrip because it allows me to do a full custom design at the expense of some insertion losses that are not important in this design.

Thank you.

Reply to
RafaP

Won't it get pretty big at this frequency? L-band is in that awkward transition region between microstrip and lumped components.

John

Teflon based PCB stock worked pretty well for me the last time I did L-band work 40 years ago, but there may be improvements in two generations of materials.

You may want to mess around with (ahem, heuristically experiment) with solid silver wire and ATC low-loss capacitors to see what lumped component performance you can get. WInd the coils on a round toothpick form. The toothpicks are available at the corner bar in an olive salad with a wondeful clear dressing {;-)

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering